Thread: Which IGH ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Which IGH ?

Hi from Aussie land !
    I ride a Karate Monkey SS 33x16 and like the simplicity of a SS etc - but of course wish that I had gears occasionally. As a mature aged rider (early 60"s) Iv'e read that if the rider is not wanting to push the speed envelope changing gears a lot then instead of going Rohloff with the associated $$$$$ then it's best to go to an Alfine or suchlike if one is changing not very much. Is this wise or is it better to just bite the bullet to Rohloff and just change it from bike to bike as the years go on?
    And if another cheaper IGH would suffice, which is the better ones with evenly spaced gearing? Cheers

mtbr member
    I have two Rohloffs and one alpine 8...the 8 is fine for short commutes or errands....but would not want to ride the Alpine for any other kinds of rides....long road, MTNbiking, Etc...

singlespeed smash brother
    I experimented with an Alfine for a year after buying a rolhoff 2 years ago. The Alfine is ok but not better than a modern 1 x 10 deraileur setup IMO. If you are one of the lucky ones who can get it adjusted and keep it that way it might be what you are looking for. The rolhoff is a better functioning unit and a more set and forget option. It's not perfect. I'm dealing with annoying oil leaks but for riding it is the embodiment of all the reasons you'd want an IGH.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks for the thoughts, what about trying to get a minimal number of gears economically like using a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub? Has anyone used this? Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Buy a Rohloff if you can afford it , I am a Nuvinci owner who thought that this IGH unit would be sufficent but I have my doubts ,lacks range in my opinion . Also not happy with the cable attachment the plastic planetary gearing with cheap spline drive .

Dubow NY

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Dubow - forgive my ignorance, but what is a Nuvinci?

mtbr member
    Rohloff is nicer for sure. If your budget allows for it buy one. For a KM I'd get the threaded axle version for a clean install without tugnuts.

If a Rohloff is too expensive I've used 2 Alfine 8's in Surly Pugsley fatbikes for quite a few years with no issues. You can see what they got up to at this link:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vikapp...7610461277546/

I've had friends use them in cargo bikes and other fairly tough applications as well.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fisher 44 View Post
    Dubow - forgive my ignorance, but what is a Nuvinci?
    If you punch in on your web server the word Nuvinci N360 it will bring you to the maker page that can explain better than I can ,its basically a CVT constant variable transmission using balls .

DUBOW

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Dubow - this rates the N360 pretty goodhttp://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=68678

cheers

A God Without A Name
    I'd say the Alfine 8 is a really solid hub... Once it's broken in. and if you're a really good mechanic. I bought the damn thing mostly because I just wanted to make sure I could work on one inside and out. now I can.

It took a lot of fiddling to get it just right. I did a proper repack at 300ish miles. and rode it about another 50. finally found my sweet spot with the cones (and proved to myself I could find it again) then I started adding capfuls of ATF.

At about 2.5 additional capfuls of ATF, with my cones adjusted just right. everything fell into place. Drag is so low I only notice it on long rides or when riding with roadies. (who would leave me in the dust anyways... fat guy here.)

but there is a definite learning curve to it.

I'd consider the Alfine 11 for commuting. because I've held it in my hand and seen that even before being built into a wheel it is smoother and less draggy than the 8. I'm aware that it's considered somewhat fragile.

And I assume everyone would push for Rohloff if you can afford it. though it seems the Alfine 11 might have less drag.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ok, thanks everyone, after looking into lots of hubs, most seem to have issues of some sort being leaks, slipping gears etc - I had an accident awhile back and I can't do a lot with my hands so I can't take apart and rebuild a hub etc - I just want a simple reliable gearing system so I can forget it and enjoy riding - so in time I might justify a Rohloff - in the mean time I have decided to set up a 1x10 or suchlike instead.
    Any other thoughts would be appreciated, cheers, or see my other post in single speed.

mtbr member
    Ok, thanks everyone, after looking into lots of hubs, most seem to have issues of some sort being leaks, slipping gears etc - I had an accident awhile back and I can't do a lot with my hands so I can't take apart and rebuild a hub etc - I just want a simple reliable gearing system so I can forget it and enjoy riding - so in time I might justify a Rohloff - in the mean time I have decided to set up a 1x10 or suchlike instead.
    Any other thoughts would be appreciated, cheers, or see my other post in single speed.
    I put a Nexus 8 [similar to Alfine 8] on my GF's commuter because she has no interest in futzing with a bike. 3yrs into a daily commute she has not had to do anything to that hub.

My experience with IGHs is most require little to no maintenance. Certainly that's the case across the 6 IGHs I have and all those I know about on friends' bikes.

Taking apart and rebuilding IGHs is not something you should expect to be doing whether it's an Alfine or a Rohloff.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Vikb - I wonder if that good experience with the Nexus would be as good with a significant off road usage ? With a commuter, obviously, ad your GR has proved, but it seems give it rougher treatment and the maintenance requirements change somewhat, cheers

mtbr member
    Vikb - I wonder if that good experience with the Nexus would be as good with a significant off road usage ? With a commuter, obviously, ad your GR has proved, but it seems give it rougher treatment and the maintenance requirements change somewhat, cheers
    Both my Pugsleys were exposed to beaches [more than a year combined on the most used one] and 2 Canadian winters, fully loaded [4 panniers] off road touring in the mountains and regular mountain biking.

Neither A8 has needed a lick of maintenance in over 5yrs aside from tightening the bearings on each rear hub once [a 25 sec process for any LBS].

Have a look at these photos to see what those hubs have been through: https://www.flickr.com/photos/vikapp...7610461277546/

The photos of the opened up A8 were taken after 5yrs of zero internal maintenance when I opened one up to see if it needed to be serviced and it was so clean inside with fresh grease I left it alone.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Joe Cruz uses an A8 in his bikepacking rig and rides in remote places:

Rob English custom 29er | Pedaling in Place

Arizona Trail setup | Pedaling in Place
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I ride a Karate Monkey SS 33x16 and like the simplicity of a SS etc - but of course wish that I had gears occasionally.
    Have you considered the possibilities of dinglespeed?

Basically it's SS, but with two chainrings in front and two in the rear. To switch from one gear to another you loosen the rear wheel and move the chain over. Purists say it's not SS, but they forget that fixies have used flip flop rear hubs for a long time and they are accepted in "SS canon".

You will retain almost everything you like about singlespeeds, get a little bit of flexibility range for your occasional desire, and it's a ton cheaper compared to any IGH.

A God Without A Name
    Yeah, in terms of IGHs needing work, I think a lot of that is up to rider preference. My alfine 8 worked fine out of the box. But not as well as I require a part on one of my bikes to work. I'm definitely a perfectionist on anything I do. be it cars or bikes. And I won't accept anything less than flawless.

Any stock, untouched IGH I've seen yet (never seen a Rohloff in person, though) has been far from flawless. soggy shifts, noisy engagement. unacceptable drag. dull lever response. The issues go on.

If you just want something that works and you don't care about the minutiae of it. you may be able to set it and forget it. but that won't work for me. My 8 shifts better than any other Alfine 8 I've dealt with. and it has the lowest drag for an IGH I've ever seen (not counting Rohloffs and Alfine 11s) It took a lot of fiddling (though all together I've maybe actually worked on this hub 4 hours) to get it there. and I loved that fiddling.

I dunno. It's a learning curve. While I don't want it on my main road bike. It WILL be built into a mountain bike. I guarantee it. I'm not getting rid of it, just repurposing it.