Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,190

    If an Alfine cable breaks...

    Is the hub still usable, or does it require cable tension? Can you manually shift gears?

    Just curious...

  2. #2
    Candlestick Maker
    Reputation: baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,035
    The hub would be usable. I don't think there is any chance of shifting without cable tension.

    I think you'd be stuck in the lowest gear.
    baker

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,190
    Quote Originally Posted by baker
    The hub would be usable. I don't think there is any chance of shifting without cable tension.

    I think you'd be stuck in the lowest gear.
    Okay. Not that I doubt you, just want to clarify... My Speedhub can be shifted with a wrench. No way to do that in a pinch with the Alfine?

    My friend is going to build one of these up soon. I will likely follow shortly after (he gives it some trail time).

  4. #4
    dru
    dru is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,643
    No, the mechanism that is moved by the 'cassette joint' hides underneath it. You have no way of turning it. If you broke a cable you could still somehow tie the broken wire to the frame but who knows what gear you'd be in, or in between for that matter. You could also jury rig something up on the hook that the cable end sits in on the 'cassette joint', but again pretty hard to judge what gear you be near/in.

    Drew
    occasional cyclist

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    392
    The easy answer is to carry 2 or 3 cable ties with you. When I first got mine, I had no shifter for about 2-3 weeks and I did just that. Selected gear 4 (approx) and used cable ties. It worked fine. No slipping or movement just worked fine.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    107
    There's an alignment mark for gear #4 on the cassette joint. That would be the one to jury rig it into.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by dru
    No, the mechanism that is moved by the 'cassette joint' hides underneath it. You have no way of turning it.
    Actually, it can be turned with a 2mm Allen wrench or something similar in size. Line up the yellow marks for 4th gear, zip-tie it down and you're good to go.

    Here's a pic (middle of page): http://www.sheldonbrown.com/nexus8/pages/09.htm

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,190
    Nice, the older this thread gets the more I like the info coming in...

  9. #9
    Candlestick Maker
    Reputation: baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,035
    Quote Originally Posted by brianko
    Actually, it can be turned with a 2mm Allen wrench or something similar in size. Line up the yellow marks for 4th gear, zip-tie it down and you're good to go.

    Here's a pic (middle of page): http://www.sheldonbrown.com/nexus8/pages/09.htm
    Ha! Thanks for the link. I've been riding these hubs for a while now and never noticed the hole/allen wrench note for cable insertion. That should make things a bit easier for me...
    baker

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    Is the hub still usable, or does it require cable tension? Can you manually shift gears?

    Just curious...
    Is this really an issue? In my 30 years of riding bikes I have never have a cable break. Did I just jinx myself? I can see if you are going touring or something it would be a good idea to have an extra cable. If you are just riding around, the bike ends up in the easiest gear if the cable breaks and you ride out.

    What happens on a bike with a derailleur? I guess it depends if it's normal or rapid rise, but basically the same thing would happen. You would end up in the easiest or hardest gear and then just ride out.

    Mark

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,190
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny
    Is this really an issue? In my 30 years of riding bikes I have never have a cable break. Did I just jinx myself? I can see if you are going touring or something it would be a good idea to have an extra cable. If you are just riding around, the bike ends up in the easiest gear if the cable breaks and you ride out.

    What happens on a bike with a derailleur? I guess it depends if it's normal or rapid rise, but basically the same thing would happen. You would end up in the easiest or hardest gear and then just ride out.

    Mark
    I asked this because on a ride 2 weeks ago, as I was powering my SS past a geared rider on a short steep uphill, his rear D cable busted. (Probably from my shear awesomeness.) Anyway, he was lucky in that it broke near the attachment point. He was able to reattach it, but only had his easiest gear at that point...

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: burner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny
    Is this really an issue? In my 30 years of riding bikes I have never have a cable break. Did I just jinx myself?
    I have busted the cable on my alfine... was stuck in the low gear the rest of the ride.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by burner
    I have busted the cable on my alfine... was stuck in the low gear the rest of the ride.
    I am amazed, knowing how hard it is to cut the cable with the correct tools, you must have been very unlucky.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: burner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by EFMax
    I am amazed, knowing how hard it is to cut the cable with the correct tools, you must have been very unlucky.
    to be more accurate... on a standing climb, my rear wheel torqued out of the dropouts (I'm wary of shallow dropouts and IGHs now, those washers need something to grab), this shot the cable forward and exploded the housing and shifter, rendering the shifting useless, and leaving me in the lowest gear the rest of the ride. The cable itself never actually broke.
    Last edited by burner; 07-15-2009 at 03:44 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •