MONKEYMAN

I thought speedhubs got quieter with use? Not mine!

Got my speedhub last November. 4 x 12miles per week commute plus weekend rides of 25-50 miles. So, a fair amount of usage so far. It's the newer model (laser etched)

The hub started making the noise a few months ago- the noise reminds my of the sound those tin wind-up toys made when you wound them up- kind of a ratchety clicking. It only makes this noise when I'm putting the hammer down. out of the saddle or seated, as soon as I start putting some torque into the cranks I hear it. It happens in all gears.

First thing I tried was replacing the chain. Still made the noise. Then the hub oil (A VERY expensive undertaking. I needed to send away to the UK to get it. $58 dollars for 25mL of cleaning oil and 25mL of all season oil. Really burns me up because Rohloff USA is less than 10 miles from my house in SF CA, but they are having 'distribution issues') Still makes the noise. I've even tried nudging the grip shift back and forth to see if maybe the teeth weren't meshing correctly. Same noise, no difference

When I first got the hub it was practically silent in gears 8-14. Gears 1-7 had the much discussed corduroy buzzing sound that all the new hubs have (that noise has actually gotten a bit less with usage).

I haven't run the hub in the rain or mud at all. I'm stumped! And a little let down! Everything I'd read prepared me to accept some noise initially. When I first got the hub I could be in gears 8-14 and only hear the tire tread buzzing, the rest of the bike was amazingly silent. Now every pedal stroke under power makes a racket.

Anyone else have this issue with theirs? Any advice? I have had little luck getting in contact with anyone at Rohloff USA. Many messages left, none returned.

“I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

On MTBR hiatus :(
    That's a great looking bike. Reminds me, I gotta order up one of those posts.

I think it's the luck of the draw. Well, except that mine have never become noisier. But some are definitely louder than others. The "tin wind-up toy" description has me a little concerned, however, and I'd continue trying to contact Rohloff by phone until they pick up. Stuart in Germany is answering emails, too (you'll have to look up his Rohloff email address).
    speedub.nate
    · MTBR Hiatus UFN ·

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! 2 things to double check....

Quote Originally Posted by finger51
    Got my speedhub last November. 4 x 12miles per week commute plus weekend rides of 25-50 miles. So, a fair amount of usage so far. It's the newer model (laser etched)

The hub started making the noise a few months ago- the noise reminds my of the sound those tin wind-up toys made when you wound them up- kind of a ratchety clicking. It only makes this noise when I'm putting the hammer down. out of the saddle or seated, as soon as I start putting some torque into the cranks I hear it. It happens in all gears.

First thing I tried was replacing the chain. Still made the noise. Then the hub oil (A VERY expensive undertaking. I needed to send away to the UK to get it. $58 dollars for 25mL of cleaning oil and 25mL of all season oil. Really burns me up because Rohloff USA is less than 10 miles from my house in SF CA, but they are having 'distribution issues') Still makes the noise. I've even tried nudging the grip shift back and forth to see if maybe the teeth weren't meshing correctly. Same noise, no difference

When I first got the hub it was practically silent in gears 8-14. Gears 1-7 had the much discussed corduroy buzzing sound that all the new hubs have (that noise has actually gotten a bit less with usage).

I haven't run the hub in the rain or mud at all. I'm stumped! And a little let down! Everything I'd read prepared me to accept some noise initially. When I first got the hub I could be in gears 8-14 and only hear the tire tread buzzing, the rest of the bike was amazingly silent. Now every pedal stroke under power makes a racket.

Anyone else have this issue with theirs? Any advice? I have had little luck getting in contact with anyone at Rohloff USA. Many messages left, none returned.

Mine went through a period of excess noise long ago....I now have 5000 miles on mine and it seems to be a Little Smoother and only Slightly quieter than when it was new, but NOT by much on either front. I DO recall having some noises in 8-14 occasionally too that went away on mine... i think i was causing it... read more...
    2 things that you can check or may want to become aware of. The Hub should NOT be Over-tightened in the Rear dropouts (that is what i was doing), so depending on whether you use Quick Release or Bolt-On Skewers, be aware of that, you CAN over-clamp the axle and that CAN cause a symptom as you are describing. It should be Tight (safe) but NOT over-tight... there is a fine line, so experiment to TEST for noise reduction with LESS clamping force.
    The other thing you want to check is to make certain that your Cog spins freely, Take the wheel OFF of the bike and test Free-play while turning the Cog BACKWARDS by Hand, if you spin the pedals backwards, this will not tell you how the Cog feels, do it by Hand, and also check to make certain that your axle has not slipped inward and that your Cog has the Minimum .03 mm clearance of space it needs on the Cog side, if not, this can be easily remedied with a Soft Blow hammer, check your MANUAL for directions and POST any results AGAIN.
    I have also NOT heard back from Rohloff USA for about 3 or 4 weeks on a non-problem related topic... they might be gone for a trip or something, Neil and Thomas are usually very helpful. These hubs are Over-Built and it seems unlikely to me that something went wrong during your normal/light use for 7 or 8 months since it was fine previously.
    Hope this helps.
    Rohloff Rocks IMO.
    Last edited by UN-COG-KNEE-TOE; 08-20-2009 at 12:12 AM.