Thread: I am in love...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

I am in love...

I just finished my pugsley last night with an alfine. I'm in love with the alfine. The only setup required was making sure the nut is the right distance away from the end of the cable.

I love how its near silent, I can shift it without pedaling, and its a sleak SS drivetrain.

I'm going to have to get my hands on the alfine 11spd for christmas. haha yup I'm putting my wish list together already.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yeah, it's funny how it hooks you. I don't have much desire to piss around with derailleurs anymore. The 11 speed sure looks like my next upgrade if I blow up the eight speed.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Music & Bikes
    Same here.
    I only have one bike left with derailleurs , my road bike. All others are IGH and SS.
    Can't wait for a newer , lighter Speedhub version 2.0 to put on the road bike !
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

vik
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey0066
    I just finished my pugsley last night with an alfine. I'm in love with the alfine. The only setup required was making sure the nut is the right distance away from the end of the cable.

I love how its near silent, I can shift it without pedaling, and its a sleak SS drivetrain.

I'm going to have to get my hands on the alfine 11spd for christmas. haha yup I'm putting my wish list together already.

Congrats! I'm running a Pugsley with an Alfine as well...great bike...

My advice is to wait for Shimano to go through one product cycle with the new Alfine 11 speed. The second batch will have worked out any kinks that show up when they are released to the public.
    safe riding,

Vik
    www.thelazyrando.com

Rohloff
    My main bike with a Rohloff just broke (Scary Fissure) and is in for warranty repair. My back up bike has an Alfine8.

I've got to confess: I've always considered my A8 bike to be a second class bike. It's for fun as a back up bike. Not my main ride. There's a part of me that's waiting for the A8 to break. The gear spacing is uneven. I've been thinking the gear range may be just a little too narrow. In the past, I've taken this bike out just for easier rides.

Well, today I took it out for a thrashing. I've got a couple of (somewhat) big rides this weekend and I wanted to work out any kinks since it's my backup bike. The truth is the A8 was rock solid. I dropped my preconceived notions and just rode the bike. It did great! The drive felt solid, it shifted well, I didn't even notice any uneven gear steps and the range of gears was perfect. I climbed the steepest sections with ease, and without the Rohloff grind. I tried to spin the bike out on some downhill, which I manage to accomplish but it took a bit of effort I wouldn't have normally bothered to do.

I love my A8. I love my Rohloff as well, but I think it's going to find its way to a mountain tandem, which will probably benefit from a beefier hub and bigger gear range. I'm looking forward to some of the improvements I'm expecting from the A11, but for now I'm loving my A8!

Music & Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdc
    My main bike with a Rohloff just broke (Scary Fissure) and is in for warranty repair. My back up bike has an Alfine8.
    A Gary Fissure ?

Just joking........
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by fokof
    A Gary Fissure ?

Just joking........
    Yes, it's a Gary Fisher HiFi 29. It broke last year at a point that was a known problem and they fixed it. I'm OK with that. But it broke at another point this time. Now I'm a little miffed. They're going to fix it but I don't like the idea of being without my bike a few weeks every year. It can't be cost effective for them and it's a pain in the butt for me. The frame is probably too light. The need to beef it up a little.

That aside, I'm still loving my A8. I did a particularly long, hilly ride this weekend. The A8 performed almost flawlessly. I had plenty of gearing. The hardtail it's on beat me uip, but the A8 was golden.