mtbr member
    May 2004

How much difference between a 38t and 34t ..

front ring on my Rohloff? I know the 34 will probably violate the recommended ratio, but I'm ok with that. I'll choose a rear cog size that will get me the closest to 2.4.

I have ridden a 38 in the past and I have a 42t currently (too much for the steep hills) I know I will pick up some granny gears with the 34t. Will I still be able to crank out the flatd road with the 34t?

Thanks,

Stephen

Rohloff
    I've been running 34/16 with my Rohloff for a year and a half. Many have reported running this setup without problems. As I've gotten stronger I've noticed I don't have to dip down into 1st gear as much but it sure is nice to have on occassion. I certainly use 1st gear a lot more than I ever use 14th gear

I ride a lot of twisty, rough singletrack so I'm rarely in the upper gears. Even on an occasional downhill dirt or paved road, I don't think I've spun out. I think a 34/16 will give you plenty of gearing for cranking out flat roads.

Another nice thing about running a lower gear ratio is that you'll find yourself in the smoother gears 8-14 more often.