mtbr member
    Mar 2009

How to make your Alfine run like a dream!

Unhappy with your Alfine? I was, too, for about 600 kms (~400 miles?)! My primary problem was chain skipping on the rear cog (which I initially thought was the clutch slipping!). It also started developing a yucky grindy noise.

But today, I've finally nailed it! I'm now 100% happy with it. Here are a few tips in case you're struggling, too.

- Get a 1/8" chain!!!! Seriously, go and do it now!!! This will probably stop any skipping problems you may have been having!! And, you don't need 1/8" wide sprockets/chainrings to run a 1/8" chain. Everything's just got a bit more of a margin for error. And they are tougher and cheaper and stretch less!

- Go with chainstay cable routing over seatstay. Sure it might look a bit uglier, but you won't have to worry about the cassette joint clearing the chain.

- Rebuild your Alfine (do it yourself, it's surprisingly easy), replacing the grease with auto transmission fluid. I'll write a detailed post on how to do this later tonight. You'll instantly notice that it's much more free when you backpedal - much less friction inside there! It'll sound (and even feel) completely different after you do this.

- If you're running a tensioner, make sure it's a PUSH UP type, not a PULL DOWN type!!!! This is super important. The Alfine needs all the chain wrap you can give it. Also, don't over-tension it - the hub makes a funny noise!

Also, 3-cross spoke lacing is really pushing it with a flange this big. The wheel takes a while to break in, requiring frequent retensioning for the first few hundred kms. I wish I'd gone with 2-cross but it's fine now.

That's it for now, but keep a lookout for my post on how to break down/rebuild your Alfine, I should be able to post it tonight.

Cheers,
    Alex.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for taking the time to post your tips.

But I think I'm going to try a synthetic differential fluid first. I also might try a heavier weight synthetic engine oil. Perhaps a 10w40 or a 15w40. I think the auto transmission fluid is a bit too 'thin'.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    There's also the official shimano oil for IGHs:

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...ance%20Oil.pdf

But it's exxy - AU$100 for 10 litres (you only need <1 litre).

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by fraal
    ...My primary problem was chain skipping on the rear cog

- Get a 1/8" chain!!!! Seriously, go and do it now!!! This will probably stop any skipping problems you may have been having!! And, you don't need 1/8" wide sprockets/chainrings to run a 1/8" chain. Everything's just got a bit more of a margin for error. And they are tougher and cheaper and stretch less!

- If you're running a tensioner, make sure it's a PUSH UP type, not a PULL DOWN type!!!! This is super important. The Alfine needs all the chain wrap you can give it. Also, don't over-tension it - the hub makes a funny noise!
    Is your chainline messed up? I can't understand why an Alfine would be any different than other single speed set-ups. I haven't have any issues with more miles than you. Also, the idea that an 1/8" chain streches doesn't have any foundation in fact or experience. Search the SS forum to get an earful.

Also, 3-cross spoke lacing is really pushing it with a flange this big. The wheel takes a while to break in, requiring frequent retensioning for the first few hundred kms. I wish I'd gone with 2-cross but it's fine now.
    What size wheel? I've build up 3 Alfine and one Nexus three cross on Mavic 319 and all of them ran fine from day one without any touchup. Still running....

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    My chainline is out but only by a few mm.

It's a 26" wheel. The bend angle at the nipples is pretty extreme. Maybe you are better at breaking in your wheel than I am.

Another Retro Grouch
    Mine are 700C/36H/3X, they are at the limit, I bet 26"/36H/3X is too much. I don't understand your issue with skipping, I've been running 1/8" and 3/32 for years and the only time I've had skipping is with old sprockets/new chain or badly manufactured cog.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I must say I don't really understand it either - the chain and sprocket were both new. The alfine 20T sprocket did skip a lot less than the nexus 22T initially, but they're both fine now with the 1/8" chain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    good info, thanks.

Missouri Chubber
    Sep 2008
    will be getting one of these on my next bike before the coming summer. Excellent concise post. thanks

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by fraal
    I must say I don't really understand it either - the chain and sprocket were both new. The alfine 20T sprocket did skip a lot less than the nexus 22T initially, but they're both fine now with the 1/8" chain.
    You the only person that's ever reported the need to run a sloppy chain on a perfect chainline. I'd hate to think other readers think there's a problem with Alfine hubs just because you're having a strange problem. The Alfine hub uses standard sprokets, it's just a single speed chain system....