mtbr member

High normal shifter on an 8 speed Alfine?

I haven't seen any mention of this, but I'm interested in reversing the shifting direction for my 8 speed Alfine.

I understand that the 11 speed reverses an 8 speed shiter's direction by running the cable over the top of the cassette joint instead of from underneath. So can you use the 11 speed cassette joint on an 8 speed hub to reverse the shiting direction? Does it fit, is the cable pull the same and can you still line up the yellow dots to align the shifter and the hub?

Thanks

Tim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    I haven't seen any mention of this, but I'm interested in reversing the shifting direction for my 8 speed Alfine.

I understand that the 11 speed reverses an 8 speed shiter's direction by running the cable over the top of the cassette joint instead of from underneath. So can you use the 11 speed cassette joint on an 8 speed hub to reverse the shiting direction? Does it fit, is the cable pull the same and can you still line up the yellow dots to align the shifter and the hub?

Thanks

Tim
    The 11 speed cassette joint won't fit the 8 speed hub and nor would there be any advantage in having it do so. They both wrap the cable clockwise (viewed from driveside) - the difference in shifting direction is presumably because while the 8 speed requires cable tension to shift up through the gears (it defaults to 1st if there's no tension, like a rapid rise derailleur) whereas I assume that the 11 speed acts like a "conventional" rear mech in that it defaults to the highest gear if cable tension is removed.
    This is only my assumption though - I've never used an 11 speed Alfine. I have, however , handled the 11 speed cassette joint (one was sent to me in error) and can confirm that it isn't compatible with the 8 speed hub.

mtbr member
    Thanks Andy. I guess the other way to fix this is to get rid of the derailleurs on my other bikes and replace them with a rohloff. That way I won't get confused.

Tim