mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Help a IGH Noob pick drivetrain?

Thanks for any help in advance.

I'm 6'5 250lb and I recently got a 23" Raleigh Passage 4.0 frame for super cheap.

I was thinking I'd like to build it up as a commuter that may see a few hills as well as a little bit of dirt/gravel. I am really attracted to the Alfine 8sp hub. My questions are:

Will I need a tensioner, can you recommend one?
    What manufacturers should I be looking at in terms of the BB and crank set?
    I was thinking a "1x8" maybe a 32t or 34t in the front?
    What other parts am I forgetting?

Please don't laugh at my ignorance, lol thanks for any help!

Most specs here: BIKE INFO
    BB 68mm/122mm
    Verticle drop outs
    I Require a 180 mm crank arm
    Last edited by belmontjohnson; 03-08-2012 at 07:04 PM.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Best vertical dropout tensioner I've used is a Yess ETR-V.

I'd go with a NuVinci N360 if I had to do it over again. Riding on an Alfine 8 right now.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks, I was originally thinking about going with a Surly Sigleator but the reviews on the Yess seem very positive.

Id really love some recommendations on a strong 180mm crank set and BB. I haven't had much luck pointing myself in the right direction as far as knowing what to use with a IGH.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Yes, I had mixed results with the Singleator. In some cases it worked really well. The Yess ETR-V has *always* worked for me.

If you want a *strong* 180mm crankset... well, it's not insanely expensive, but is a bit pricey once you're all done, check out Profile Racing.

Profile Racing E-Store

Notice the crank length options?

Read the product details carefully, you still need a bottom bracket and spider. I'd go with these:

Profile Racing E-Store
    Profile Racing E-Store

So the deal with Profiles is that you can set the chainline and drive line "however" you want within reason. Look closely at how the cranks interface with the spindle - they are a close-tolerance telescoping spline-driven sort of thing. You can slides the cranks along the spindle's length to set your own Q factor and chain line, using spacers.

Basically: a bit heavy, a bit expensive, but *really* adjustable, lots of length options, and really strong.
    Latitude: 44.93 N