Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Rockstar

Got one of these on order...UPDATE: It's Here!

Shimano Nexus three speed internally geared hub for disc brakes. Nice and light at 945grams. The online retailer describes the "Intended Use" as "Mountain".

I will post up a review when it arrives, hopefully in a week or so. We'll see if it can handle off road use as claimed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by forwardcomponents; 04-21-2009 at 08:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    do you have the o.l.d. for that thing? ive been whining about how i want an off road 3 speed hub for a while now, thanks for showing this thing off!

nevermind, i got unlazy and did the research, 135 it is! but no shifter included? bummer
    Last edited by peanutbutter; 04-10-2009 at 02:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Cool! Did not know they had the 3-speed out in disc. Do you know if they are using roller bearings on the planetary gears, like the alfine?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    How much$?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Florian Nebel from Paul Lange (Shimano distributor in Germany) says :Cruisers and children bicycles as the focus market for this hub. Particularly in the USA Cruiser with 3-speed hub and disc brakes are in the future probably a genuine Trendsetter.

http://www.radfahren.de/modules.php?...rder=0&thold=0

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Range?

Anyone have any idea what the range is on the gearing?

Rockstar
    Quote Originally Posted by gschwell
    Anyone have any idea what the range is on the gearing?

The range is around 186%. The Alfine 8 speed is around 340%.

They usually retail for $125, but I have seen them for as low as $89, $93, and $109.

I suspect that they are not actually being certified for off road by Shimano, and the distributor is just making assumptions about the "intended use" because of the disc mount. Shimano does not certify Alfine or NexusRed Band for off road, but people have been using them successfully. I think Shimano and SRAM are using mountain bikers to test their product, without having to worry about warranty claims. The disc mount is just bait that we can't resist!

I have no idea if the hub uses roller bearings like Alfine. It probably does. That is probably what the "silent clutch" on the hub shell refers to, but I am just speculating.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by forwardcomponents
    ...I have no idea if the hub uses roller bearings like Alfine. It probably does. That is probably what the "silent clutch" on the hub shell refers to, but I am just speculating.
    The "silent clutch" is the roller clutch that was added to the hub when the Alfine was introduced, it removed the clicky sound on the higher gears, and improved on the engagement. The roller bearings were first introduced on the red-band nexus as a way of improving efficiency and durability.

Rockstar
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    The "silent clutch" is the roller clutch that was added to the hub when the Alfine was introduced, it removed the clicky sound on the higher gears, and improved on the engagement. The roller bearings were first introduced on the red-band nexus as a way of improving efficiency and durability.
    I wonder if these are a nightmare to service.

Master of None
    I was looking hard at the new 3-speed but I decided on the 8-speed instead. One of the negatives was the shifter box on the end of the axle shaft that the 3-speed requires. When I was looking to buy last year, I could not find stock of the 3-speed.

Where did you order it from?

Rockstar

It's here!

Show and tell time.

It's very compact. It fits in my hand with room to spare. On my cheap red plastic kitchen scale(which is surprisingly accurate) it weighs the claimed 950 grams. The seals seem to be very good. Perfect for this rainy time of year. It has a little bit of drag in freewheel mode, but it is very quiet. The cog that Shimano supplied is an inexpensive, shiny stamped steel one.Ugh! I won't bother showing you that. I may fabricate a titanium one to replace it, just for the bling factor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Baby Bear is in the house
    Does the new Nexus 3 still use the shift/click box? I thought they've revised it to be similar to the Nexus 8 Red Band/Alfine...

Quote Originally Posted by presslab
    I was looking hard at the new 3-speed but I decided on the 8-speed instead. One of the negatives was the shifter box on the end of the axle shaft that the 3-speed requires. When I was looking to buy last year, I could not find stock of the 3-speed.

Where did you order it from?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Rockstar
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel
    Does the new Nexus 3 still use the shift/click box? I thought they've revised it to be similar to the Nexus 8 Red Band/Alfine...
    I ordered it without the shifter. I wanted to see what shifter was recommended in the instructions, but it doesn't say! I imagine that the shifter is the three speed Nexus Revo shifter, which includes the click box. I don't really like the click box idea. It looks vulnerable. Not as bad as a derailleur, but it still protrudes a bit.

Has anyone here had problems with a clickbox getting smacked?

Bike Dork
    Has anyone here had problems with a clickbox getting smacked?
    Years ago, before any IG hub was rated for off-road, I saw some issues for customers usually with the Sachs/SRAM Super-7. We would just mount a smack guard on the axle and no more problem. The click box isn't a problem but people for some reason just love to berate it. I think the Shimano Nexus shift ring is maybe the most important improvement to IG hubs to come along, but that doesn't mean click boxes are bad.

So what shifter did you end up using?

Rockstar
    Quote Originally Posted by themanmonkey
    Years ago, before any IG hub was rated for off-road, I saw some issues for customers usually with the Sachs/SRAM Super-7. We would just mount a smack guard on the axle and no more problem. The click box isn't a problem but people for some reason just love to berate it. I think the Shimano Nexus shift ring is maybe the most important improvement to IG hubs to come along, but that doesn't mean click boxes are bad.

So what shifter did you end up using?
    I am going to go with the Shimano Nexus SL-3S35 3-speed Revoshifter. It is not specifically mentioned in the installation instructions, but it is always described on retailer websites as compatible for Nexus Inter 3 hubs, so it must be the one.

I don't really understand why Shimano requires a clickbox, when SRAM and even Sturmey Archer don't. Is there an advantage to it that outweighs it's weight, bulk, and complexity?

Gorilla Evo
    please post a review as soon as you try it out. and pictures of it on the bike.
    how much heavier than a "normal" wheel will it be? I use an alfine, the wheel on it own feel really heavy (Dh rims, tubes and tyres) but when on the bike the weigh is not really noticeable.

Where did you order it from? I want one to stick in a gearbox bike.
    G-EVO

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    i find that despite the need for one more tool, the clickbox makes wheel removal much easier than both the mechanisms from other companies and shimano's own shift ring. i like being able to unscrew the bolt, take off the box and hanlde the wheel like normal, where as the chain on sturmeys' hubs seem to need constant adjustment, and the shift ring is simply hard to fiddle with...
    on the other hand... im probably the only one who thinks this. haha!

Rockstar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeybike
    please post a review as soon as you try it out. and pictures of it on the bike.
    how much heavier than a "normal" wheel will it be? I use an alfine, the wheel on it own feel really heavy (Dh rims, tubes and tyres) but when on the bike the weigh is not really noticeable.

Where did you order it from? I want one to stick in a gearbox bike.
    A weight comparison is not that straightforward. A wheel with a regular hub requires a cassette and a rear derailleur to get the same functionality as an internally geared hub. To be really precise, you would have to select three rear cogs which provide the same 186% gear range as the Nexus hub. I have no idea what a clickbox weighs.

I got the hub from here:

http://greatadventuresports.com/page...ils&sku=HU7885

They did not package it very well, unfortunately. They also did not carry it in stock, so I had to wait for a while to get it. I suggest that you do a search for somebody who has it in stock. Just use the part number(SG 3D55), and you will find several online retailers. QBP is carrying it, so it won't be hard to order at your local shop.

Bike Dork
    I don't really understand why Shimano requires a clickbox, when SRAM and even Sturmey Archer don't. Is there an advantage to it that outweighs it's weight, bulk, and complexity?
    Actually S-A were the only folks NOT to use a clickbox or bell-pull, but the indicator chain had a lot of downfalls too. Sachs would use and indicator chain and put a box around it to keep things clean. Their clickbox grew out of this and is just a "sealed" bell-pull. Shimano used a bell-pull until the Nexus-7came out 15 years ago. I think the reason Shimano is still using it on their 3-speed is because the guts never got changed and the hub isn't a whole redesign.

This of course is why I'm interested to see how these "off-road" approved hubs work. Just beefing up the shells won't solve all the problems, but might solve enough to make them useful.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Any updates on this? Is the drag worst or better than an Alfine hub? Thanks in advance.

Rockstar
    Quote Originally Posted by joako
    Any updates on this? Is the drag worst or better than an Alfine hub? Thanks in advance.
    I have never used the Alfine hub, so I can't compare. There is detectable drag though. Hopefully this will become less obvious once the hub is worked in a little. On the plus side, it is a very quiet hub. The "silent clutch" really is silent, It doesn't make a sound in freewheel mode(at least not in the gear that it is currently in). I believe that it uses a roller clutch similar to those found in the old SACHS coaster brake hubs. It may be a less quiet in the 2nd and 3rd gears. I will see once I get the shifter installed.

I am still waiting for the shifter. It should be here next week.

rep
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Here's another vote for clickboxes. It is NICE to be able to pull off a wheel without all the screwing around with various nasty bits. I use a bash guard, and it has prevented any bashing.

hmmm.
    Definitely interested in this one... update when ya can.

Rockstar
    Quote Originally Posted by David9999999
    Definitely interested in this one... update when ya can.
    I just took the hub out on it's first, very brief ride ride. I still don't have the shifter, so I was spinning out with it stuck in the default lowest gear, running a 34/19 gear combination.

It climbed very well. No noise or other issues. No crunching, clunking, or other mysterious sounds. What I really noticed about it was the fact that it is completely silent in freewheel mode. It made no sound whatsoever. For racers that silence feature could be very advantageous.

It felt very light too. I did not notice any excessive rear weight when I rode up and over logs or other obstacles.

I will post a more detailed review once I get the shifter installed and take it out for a more serious ride.

hmmm.
    Sounds good so far! You mentioned before that it felt like it had some drag, was that evident when riding?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast