Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Rockstar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    Bump! Ride Reports please!!!
    The hub works very well.

The gear combination I use is 34/19, with first gear being the direct drive gear. 2nd and 3rd gears are useful for riding up to the trail, or for parts of the trail that allow me to get up to speed without spinning out. This setup is much preferable to pure singlespeed riding for my local trails, which tend to be technical.

I took it out on various trails. Trails with very steep climbs are a problem, as expected. It's only a three speed after all. At the end of the day, you are limited to climbing with your lowest gear, and 34/19 is not that low. Trails that were more even and undulating were perfect for this hub. Even long difficult climbs were no problem, as long as they did not get extremely steep.

On the down side, I found that the hub did not have very responsive engagement. The roller clutch takes about a quarter of a pedal turn to engage. Not the end of the world, but still noticeable. The jumps between gears are very large. it's definately not a 24 gear system. On the plus side, I liked the fact that it was not heavy. It did not feel like some anchor that was slowing me down.

There are issues with the bell crank and shifter, but those are minor. The shifter is unecessarily complicated, but it does work well. It does not shift accidentally, and it does not shift too quickly. I like how it works so far, but I don't like the way it looks.

The bell crank is something that I don't like. It is bulky and weak. The cast metal actually cracked when I torqued up the set screw that holds it to the axle. Despite that, it still functions as intended. Good thing that I have a cheap plastic back up. Failing that, I have a few old school Shimano bell cranks from the pre "click box" era, and I will probably modify one to work with this hub. They are much smaller and lighter, and the geometry of the actuator arm looks to be identical to the one enclosed in the oversized housing of the click box. Why did they bother with the click box design? Is it really an improvement? The original bell crank could have been modified for easy removal without all the bulk of the click box design. The viewing window is a pointless feature that the original design did without.

I have only used the hub for a while, but so far it is meeting expectations. After the first ride I had to pedal home for an hour in a torrential downpour, and the seals seem to have kept the insides dry. It handled climbs that were so steep that I was forced to dismount. The torque does not seem to have damaged the internals. The hub still shifts crisply and quietly.

The Nexus 3 disc hub has me considering the Alfine hub as my next purchase. I like the internal gear hub experience, but I don't like to dismount because my gears are too high. I am used to climbing anything and everything. Despite this limitation I would still recommend it for trails where the climbs are not insanely steep. It handles everything else very well, and is much less expensive than Alfine. It's a good introductory IGH.

mtbr member

confused with your statement

Quote Originally Posted by forwardcomponents
    The hub works very well.

The gear combination I use is 34/19, with first gear being the direct drive gear. 2nd and 3rd gears are useful for riding up to the trail, or for parts of the trail that allow me to get up to speed without spinning out..
    In another post, you also mentioned the 186% gear ratio.
    I have finally found this Shimano page
    http://www.shimano.com/publish/conte...03%20Speed.pdf

Which says Gear 1 is 1:0.733, Gear 2 is 1:1 and Gear 3 is 1:1.364
    1.364/ 0.733 = 186% which fits your description

But Gear ratio here is different. If you have a 34/19 set up, it should be equivalent to 34/26 in first, 34/19 in second and 34/14 in third. Why do you experience someting different ?

Rockstar
    Quote Originally Posted by eric_syd
    In another post, you also mentioned the 186% gear ratio.
    I have finally found this Shimano page
    http://www.shimano.com/publish/conte...03%20Speed.pdf

Which says Gear 1 is 1:0.733, Gear 2 is 1:1 and Gear 3 is 1:1.364
    1.364/ 0.733 = 186% which fits your description

But Gear ratio here is different. If you have a 34/19 set up, it should be equivalent to 34/26 in first, 34/19 in second and 34/14 in third. Why do you experience someting different ?

I was under the impression that gear 1 was the direct drive gear. Thank you for correcting that error. That explains why my "34/19" climbed better than my 34/17 singlespeed setup. It was actually 34/26. Are you sure that your calculation is correct? Either way, it does not matter that much. What matters is that the hub is not ideal for extremely steep climbs, but still handles most hills well enough to recommend it as a first IGH, or one for moderately hilly trails.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Are you sure that your calculation is correct?
    I think he's right. I calculated my Alfine ratios that way, and it seems to be correct. When I divide my 20 tooth by the % I get a '38 tooth' low gear and a '13 tooth' high gear which seems right by feel/speed.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was under the impression that gear 1 was the direct drive gear. Thank you for correcting that error. That explains why my "34/19" climbed better than my 34/17 singlespeed setup. It was actually 34/26. Are you sure that your calculation is correct? Either way, it does not matter that much. What matters is that the hub is not ideal for extremely steep climbs, but still handles most hills well enough to recommend it as a first IGH, or one for moderately hilly trails.
    How big a cog can you put on it? My friend wants to try this, but would want 2nd gear to be more like his normal SS climbing gear, so about 42 inches or 34x22? That way 1st gear is about 2 (Speedhub gears) lower and 3rd gear is about 2 (Speedhub gears) higher. This might be something that would work...

Rockstar
    How big a cog can you put on it? My friend wants to try this, but would want 2nd gear to be more like his normal SS climbing gear, so about 42 inches or 34x22? That way 1st gear is about 2 (Speedhub gears) lower and 3rd gear is about 2 (Speedhub gears) higher. This might be something that would work...
    I would like to know what is the lowest possible gear as well. Nobody seems to be able to answer that question on this forum. My LBS sells many Alfine hubs, but can't help me either. I have found nothing on the Shimano site. If people can use 32/22 combinations with Alfine, perhaps Nexus 3 can handle that torque too. I am speculating based on assumptions that Shimano is using similar materials and tolerances across the Nexus/Alfine series.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    3spds are usually considered pretty strong. I bet it'd be fine.

mtbr member

Interesting

I believe my calculations are correct if the info on this web page is accurate.
    I am currently running 1x3 with 32x16-21-28 and as soon as I'm fit, it should be a decent compromise.
    If I'd use a 21 on this Nexus, it would be equivalent to 32x15-21-29 which for me would be ideal except for a slightly long high gear leaving it for road only.
    I am interested now in how sturdy it is for off-road and if a disc adaptation would be possible /

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm not sure if anyone has recommended this site...if anyone can answer question about the nexus..this site can
    FWIW it's been my experience the 3speeds should handle the gearing you want

http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/
    Hubstripping.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eric_syd
    I believe my calculations are correct if the info on this web page is accurate.
    I am currently running 1x3 with 32x16-21-28 and as soon as I'm fit, it should be a decent compromise.
    If I'd use a 21 on this Nexus, it would be equivalent to 32x15-21-29 which for me would be ideal except for a slightly long high gear leaving it for road only.
    I am interested now in how sturdy it is for off-road and if a disc adaptation would be possible /
    That is the kind of info I need, because it is almost exactly like what my friend and I are interested in doing.

OT but, how do you like running 1x3 with a rear D?

mtbr member

sorry to hijack

That is the kind of info I need, because it is almost exactly like what my friend and I are interested in doing.

OT but, how do you like running 1x3 with a rear D?
    this thread but I think it is good info for people reducing their number of gears.

I like my 1x3 which I would qualify as Singlespeed for unfit riders but is the most I could get out of my SS hub. The shifting is perfect with an XTR RD. Chainline is a little off because of the hub.

My Scout 29 1x3

For the kind of riding I have here in Sydney, it is a good compromise.
    I am particularly happy with the 32 / 16-21-28 on a 29er.
    The 32/ 28 is a good gearing for short climbs out of the saddle. When it is long and steep, then I have to walk.
    I am now building an Alfine wheel for my main bike, I will keep a 1x5 on my drop-bar 29er.
    I will go 32/ 15-18-21-24-32.
    I was interested in the Nexus because it is close to the gearing I already have and it is much lighter than the Alfine. I would prefer a dic brake though.

Gorilla Evo
    how is this going? any pictures? test?
    G-EVO

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree, we need reports on the 3-speed hub. Can it actually stand up to SS riding in the mountains?

faster than walking
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeybike
    how is this going? any pictures? test?
    Yes! I hereby officially request photos of the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree, we need reports on the 3-speed hub. Can it actually stand up to SS riding in the mountains?
    I hear an echo in hear...

How about some feedback!?!?!

Old, stale, negative
    Echo....

meow, meow.
    +1 for the echo thing.

Also, this may sound like asking the obvious, but what chainline this hub wants?
    26" faithful.

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho
    ...what chainline this hub wants?
    http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...tech_tips.html

edit: sorry, CL isn't in there, other hub dimensions are. I'm going to guess it's the same as a 3 speed Sturmey and say 43mm/45mm/47mm for dished/straight/dished cog. It can't be very far from that.
    Attached Files Attached Files

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    I'm going to guess it's the same as a 3 speed Sturmey and say 43mm/45mm/47mm for dished/straight/dished cog. It can't be very far from that.
    Uh-huh. I too searched high and low, all to the same result. It would be really nice to see photos of how OP built his rig, especially the details on crankset.

I hoped to be able to use an external crankset with it, but the closest bet would be a Race Face set to 48 mm chainline, which is supposedly still off. This leaves us with little options, but I'm thinking of a square taper setup: Phil Wood BB and Middleburn RS7 cranks. This would allow to fine tune chainline, I guess.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by forwardcomponents View Post
    The hub works very well.

The gear combination I use is 34/19, with first gear being the direct drive gear. 2nd and 3rd gears are useful for riding up to the trail, or for parts of the trail that allow me to get up to speed without spinning out. This setup is much preferable to pure singlespeed riding for my local trails, which tend to be technical.

I took it out on various trails. Trails with very steep climbs are a problem, as expected. It's only a three speed after all. At the end of the day, you are limited to climbing with your lowest gear, and 34/19 is not that low. Trails that were more even and undulating were perfect for this hub. Even long difficult climbs were no problem, as long as they did not get extremely steep.

On the down side, I found that the hub did not have very responsive engagement. The roller clutch takes about a quarter of a pedal turn to engage. Not the end of the world, but still noticeable. The jumps between gears are very large. it's definately not a 24 gear system. On the plus side, I liked the fact that it was not heavy. It did not feel like some anchor that was slowing me down.

There are issues with the bell crank and shifter, but those are minor. The shifter is unecessarily complicated, but it does work well. It does not shift accidentally, and it does not shift too quickly. I like how it works so far, but I don't like the way it looks.

The bell crank is something that I don't like. It is bulky and weak. The cast metal actually cracked when I torqued up the set screw that holds it to the axle. Despite that, it still functions as intended. Good thing that I have a cheap plastic back up. Failing that, I have a few old school Shimano bell cranks from the pre "click box" era, and I will probably modify one to work with this hub. They are much smaller and lighter, and the geometry of the actuator arm looks to be identical to the one enclosed in the oversized housing of the click box. Why did they bother with the click box design? Is it really an improvement? The original bell crank could have been modified for easy removal without all the bulk of the click box design. The viewing window is a pointless feature that the original design did without.

I have only used the hub for a while, but so far it is meeting expectations. After the first ride I had to pedal home for an hour in a torrential downpour, and the seals seem to have kept the insides dry. It handled climbs that were so steep that I was forced to dismount. The torque does not seem to have damaged the internals. The hub still shifts crisply and quietly.

The Nexus 3 disc hub has me considering the Alfine hub as my next purchase. I like the internal gear hub experience, but I don't like to dismount because my gears are too high. I am used to climbing anything and everything. Despite this limitation I would still recommend it for trails where the climbs are not insanely steep. It handles everything else very well, and is much less expensive than Alfine. It's a good introductory IGH.
    Digging up an old one here but wondering if you kept using the hub and if so how long it lasted and what type of use it had?

Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3