PeT
    Occasionally engagedů

Gore Ride-On Cables for Rohloff?

Time to re-cable my Rohloff. I don't use a shifter box (OEM2 axle plate, V-brake equipped) and my frame has cable stops under the top tube. For a couple of years I used the original Rohloff cables with the liner exposed between the stops and have gone through a couple of cable sets using regular housing and naked cables between the stops. I'm thinking of going with Gore Ride-On Fully Sealed LF Derailleur Cables as a way of keeping the system more sealed and hopefully smooth shifting for a couple of seasons. Between the liner and the grub seals, I was hoping this system would be a good way to deal with the "broken" housing run under the down tube and the spot where the cables exit the housing at the stop on the down tube and attach to the bayonet connectors at the hub. Any one have experience or opinions regarding this cable system?

Thanks!
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I wouldn't do it. The rohloff housing is actually a brake housing as this gives a sort of springy effect which helps define the indexing of gears. They told me that normal housing would cause this to become less defined and I run a risk of shifting 1.5 gears or something and finding phantom gears.

btw - the new rohloff cables have sealed end cap things so you don't have to worry about the cables being split for the frame guides.

PeT
    Occasionally engagedů
    Quote Originally Posted by PeT View Post
    Any one have experience or opinions regarding this cable system?
    I do now, and at this point it's working great. The Gore Ride-On housing and liner seems to be high quality and when together smoothly. Might be I'm more experienced and better at cutting and prepping housing, but without a doubt the hub is shifting more smoothly than ever before. I'll see if the Gore setup keeps clean and smooth as advertised as I'll being giving it a good test through the winter and spring.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...