CS2
    mtbr member

First Time IGH User

As the title says, I'm a first time IGH user. Any tips on what kind of hub and bike would make a good conversion? The bike's intended use is casual riding but in a fairly hilly area. The 3 speed hubs I've seen don't seem to be what I'm looking for. I was looking to convert an old Specialized AL frame road bike. It have RSX now. The rear is spaced at 130mm so the hub needs to be no larger.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    In order to tension the chain properly you'll need any of the following:
    - horizontal dropouts OR
    - Eccentric Bottom Bracket OR
    - chain tensioner OR
    - "magic" chainring/cog combo (perfect mix of chainring, cog and chainstay length that provides optimal tension with vertical dropouts (this is not common). Some can do this using "half-links".

Depending on your fitness, riding style, and hill steepness, I'd imagine a Nexus 8 would do the trick nicely. Thing is, the 130mm spacing might be an issue on an aluminum frame. 5mm is not alot, so you may be able to make it work, but I'd be hesitant to do it personally. It would not be an issue with a steel frame.

Take a look at the parallel thread here in the IGH forum where IGH gear ratios are compared to conventional drivetrains.

On a side note, I'm an IGH fan - I far prefer them to conventional derailleur drivetrains. The "feel" is a little different, but I found that once I spent some time riding an IGH bike I have found that I detest the clunkiness of conventional drive trains. YMMV.
    Good luck!