mtbr member
    Dec 2009

F/S 29er Rohloff advice needed ???

A few months ago, I put a Rohloff on my HT 29er (Karate Monkey) and it is everything I was hoping for and a lot more. Absolutely love it and can't see going back to a derailer unless it proves to be hopelessly unreliable ... which I doubt.

Anyway, I want to build a F/S 29er with the Rohloff and the one frame that seems built from the ground up for this purpose is the Lenz Milk Money ... nice, but expensive!!!

Am wondering if anyone has advice or comments on what would be a good fit for the Rohloff as I'm considering the Salsa Big Mama, Kona Hei Hei, Niner RIP and possibly the Santa Cruz Tallboy (pricey, too). I understand the chain tension issues, but am more concerned about frame strength issues in the chainstays as some say the Rohloff can put more stress than some frames can handle. Could a carbon frame like the Tallboy handle a Rohloff? Advice, or other F/S frames to consider?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Zinn 29er 5" travel 29er F/S w/rohloff w/ S&S couplings

I have the custom build on order with Zinn since June 2009,it should be finished any day now for the last two months......I'll let you know when I know. I wanted a chainstay that pivots at the bottom bracket so you do not have to mess with a chain tensioner. Zinn is not a builder, he designs and contracts out the build to whoever. Dean is a builder. Lenz said he doesn't work with Ti. Go to DEAN or ZINN web sight and spend some time searching around in the galleries and you will find some photos of the concentric bottom bracket/ chainstay pivot. later

Quote Originally Posted by MSLKauai
    A few months ago, I put a Rohloff on my HT 29er (Karate Monkey) and it is everything I was hoping for and a lot more. Absolutely love it and can't see going back to a derailer unless it proves to be hopelessly unreliable ... which I doubt.

Anyway, I want to build a F/S 29er with the Rohloff and the one frame that seems built from the ground up for this purpose is the Lenz Milk Money ... nice, but expensive!!!

Am wondering if anyone has advice or comments on what would be a good fit for the Rohloff as I'm considering the Salsa Big Mama, Kona Hei Hei, Niner RIP and possibly the Santa Cruz Tallboy (pricey, too). I understand the chain tension issues, but am more concerned about frame strength issues in the chainstays as some say the Rohloff can put more stress than some frames can handle. Could a carbon frame like the Tallboy handle a Rohloff? Advice, or other F/S frames to consider?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Any IGH puts an increased strain into the frame because the torque needs supporting somewhere.

The torque of the speedhub is supported either via an oem axle plate and therefore a purposely designed dropout (no stability issues there then), an oem2 axle plate where the frame manufacturer should give permission for its use (rohloff hand-book, page 28 - written proof of acceptance and valid warranty therefore) or its supported via an ugly long torque arm - the length of this lever reduces the torque into the frame substantially and therefore can be used with no need to worry.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    I specifically asked Niner about this before mounting a Speedhub to a RIP9. I have an email reply from Brett acknowledging my concerns, and stating that he felt the frame was up to it. And this is the original RIP9 frame, not the current beefed-up version.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

N+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MSLKauai

I'm considering the Niner RIP and possibly the Santa Cruz Tallboy (pricey, too). I am more concerned about frame strength issues in the chainstays as some say the Rohloff can put more stress than some frames can handle. Could a carbon frame like the Tallboy handle a Rohloff? Advice, or other F/S frames to consider?
    If you're in the price range of those frames, contact Walt at waltworks.com - he's been building a lot of 29er FS bikes lately - it's an option anyway. Having something custom made, with beef at the rear dropout area, could be the ticket. That way, you get custom cable routing too, besides geometry/color, etc.
    GET Bret Weir, I said.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganClydesdale

Having something custom made, with beef at the rear dropout area, could be the ticket.
    Not so much the dropout -- although Rohloff has recommendations for material and thickness -- as it is for the non-driveside chainstay, which over time can sheer just in front of the dropout if not adequately thick to resist the torque the hub produces.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN