Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    it's confusing....there are so many options but just work out what you need. For mtb I guess you want disc brake, QR, 32 hole. Work out what you need for your frame set up...External Mech, and if you don't have an oem drop out you may need a monkey bone or tourque arm. The external Mech just makes it easier to remove your wheel I think. If you get the kit it should come with the shifter etc, but where ever you get it from can advise you what to get if you tell them what you need. I got a red one...I thnk it did cost more but I can't remember..not a huge amount. There is the old powder coated version which was red (don't get one of those). the new ones shouldd all be anodised in red, clear (silver), or black. All the differnt options may make it hard to compare prices unless oyu go through the specs.

mtbr member
    i neverback to internal gear hubs, bcuz they are so few efficiency, I just spending my muscle power to heat this hubs lol, no thx, in other life.
    Sorry, bad english.

What's the Hurry?
    Just add my 2 cents worth...I sold my Rohloff 10 years ago after a year and around 4k miles of use. There are a few gears when selected that "tick" noisily, some more so than others (this annoyed me a little). The bottom seven gears were like cycling in treacle/molasses with a few degrees of crank movement before power was transferred to the rear wheel, I believe due to utilising another set of gears in the hub. I tried to avoid the bottom seven gears at all costs. I spent the majority of my time in gear eleven (direct drive...44x16). The 13% jump between each gear I found irksome, when in the high gears the jump is too big, in the low gears it's too small. Also the grip shift takes some time to get used to being triangular in shape and can bind if the control cable tension is too tight.
    I swapped the Rohloff for a 1x9 derailleur setup which I have toured, mtb'd, commuted and shopped on for the last ten years. Fortunately Rohloff hubs were sort after second hand at the time (are they still?) and I recouped 80% of my outlay.
    I have not kept a record of replaced parts but I guess from memory, at least four chains (10 each), three cassttes (20 each), one chainring (20, these can be turned around when worn on one side), replaced jockey wheels from spares box. If I had replaced the chain, cassette, derailleur and chainring every year for ten years It would still only be half the price of a Rohloff hub!!
    Whilst the Rohloff didn't work for me, it may well work for you. I am sure, if you can live with it's idiosyncrasies, that the rohloff hub will give good service and long life. If the grass looks greener, check it's not just a trick of the light....
    Kind Regards David
    What are we going to do tonight, Brain? Same thing we do every night, Pinky, try to take over the world

A Man Of The Truth
    You know, I used to hear these kind of things about rohloffs 10 years ago, and I don't hear them from anyone who uses them these days. Makes me wonder if they've made them better. But I don't have any facts to support that idea. Just a thought.

What's the Hurry?
    Quote Originally Posted by fellsbiker View Post
    You know, I used to hear these kind of things about rohloffs 10 years ago, and I don't hear them from anyone who uses them these days. Makes me wonder if they've made them better. But I don't have any facts to support that idea. Just a thought.
    Things may well have changed, I don't know either. These were my experiences and my Rohloff never gave me a moments trouble, I just never took to it. I'm sorry my input is ten years out of date, perhaps users of newer hubs could correct any outdated information in my post.
    Kind Regards David
    What are we going to do tonight, Brain? Same thing we do every night, Pinky, try to take over the world

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    A lot of the time those who mention drag seem to use it on road mostly...that is what I see anyway. I have only used mine in a mtb for 90% off road use so that may colour my perceptions, but I haven't felt any drag worth mentioning. Narrow gear spacing is also a good thing for on road use, but not so great for off road or varied terrain, so there will be people bound to fall into either category. My hub is also a new one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherWingnut View Post
    Just add my 2 cents worth
    Cheers.

It's important to hear from people who didn't like the Rohloff because most of what's written about it is from enthused fans.

The Rohloff situation seems to be:

Pro:

• Super reliable
    • Low maintenance
    • Cost saving over >5 years

Con:

• Expensive
    • Heavy on rear of bike
    • Might feel a bit draggy
    • Over a thousand bucks right there on my wheel for an enterprising thief

I wonder if a better plan would be to try a Nexus 3 speed for a few months and see how I like the IGH before deciding whether to move up to a Rohloff.

A Man Of The Truth
    I'm not sure a nexus 3 is really going to give you an idea of what it will be like to have a rohloff

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    No? I've taken test rides on bikes with the Alfine 8 and 11 speeds, which is what got me excited about the Rohloff, so what I'm most curious about is the sensation of drag and slow engagement that some have mentioned.

What's the Hurry?
    I would like to add that up until recently I spent much of my time riding fixed and SS, although I have nearly always had a geared bike on hand. My original thought behind the Rohloff purchase was the low maintenance, which it delivered in spades, but the charicteristics of the hub were too far removed from what I enjoyed about SS/fixed. My fault not the hubs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My original thought behind the Rohloff purchase was the low maintenance, which it delivered in spades, but the charicteristics of the hub were too far removed from what I enjoyed about SS/fixed. My fault not the hubs.
    I've been enjoying SS since I got the bike about three weeks ago, but I figure I'll want gears eventually. There are a couple of steep hills around town that have almost beaten me (although I'm very unfit) and I hate spinning out on the flats.

The SRAM 3 speed in particular seems like a good compromise, but maybe I'm better off with a Dingle hub and adjusting the chain depending on my plans.

What's the Hurry?
    I'm afraid SS is always a compromise. Having run a dingle for a number of years, I never changed on the fly, I just slogged up the hills or spun out on the flat. A dingle imho is best used as a road/offroad option. Ride to the trail on 34x16 then ride the trail on 32x18. Swapping mid ride on the road or trail mentally destroyed the rythm of the ride for me...ymmv
    Kind Regards David
    Last edited by AnotherWingnut; 11-08-2012 at 04:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    A dingle imho is best uded as a road/offroad option. Ride to the trail on 34x16 then ride the trail on 32x18.
    Right now I'm commuting on a very flat route, so I think I could easily step the gear up and let my fitness rise to meet it, and keep the other gear ratio in reserve for weekend trails.

The other factor is that I kind of wonder if SS is wasted on a Surly Ogre, considering it's one of the most versatile bikes on the market.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HelmutHerr View Post
    So, has anyone done the hard data on this and assessed just how much a regular drivetrain costs to maintain over the years, and therefore how much the Rohloff saves?
    I've seen various analysis of the life-cycle cost of a Rohloff vs. a derailleur drivetrain. They are all forced to make quite a few assumptions that skew the results significantly. Are you comparing the Rohloff to Deore or XTR, are you using MSRP prices or the lowest EBay sale prices, what conditions do you ride in, what's your annual mileage, etc...?

Personally I'm not concerned that my IGH bikes are saving me $$$. What I really care about is that they are saving me hassles - both in terms of maintenance and performance.

Here are a few examples:

- I was on a dirt road tour in the Yukon. It started on pavement, then turned to dusty roads for a day and the several days of heavy rain resulted in tons of mud. I encountered bike tourists whose derailleurs were shifting poorly on the dry roads it was so dusty and of course the mud caused a lot of problems. As I was riding I recalled a tour report that got me interested in the trip where the cyclist had to stop every hour and find water in the ditch to clean the mud from his drivetrain so the bike would shift. My bike had a Rohloff and it shifted/pedaled as well on the paved road as it did after several days of mud riding. That was great because conditions were tough and I had enough to deal with camping and riding in the rain/mud without having to spend energy keeping my bike working.

- The local trails where I live are lightly used and very overgrown. I am frequently forced to hike a bike up and down steep slopes and over fallen trees. My bike gets treated roughly, snagged on vegetation and dropped/thrown up and down the trail. That bike has an Alfine 11 IGH without a chain tensioner. I am really glad I never have to worry about bending or breaking the derailleur on that bike as it gets abused.

- my GF is a born again bike commuter. She rides most says year round in BC. She's not bike savvy. Her bike has a Nexus 8 IGH without a chain tensioner. It requires very little attention to continue to run perfectly. That means she doesn't have to think much about her bike and I just have to check it once a month to keep it rolling along.

Have I saved money with IGHs? I doubt it, but I don't regret the choice in these sort of situations.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Very informative thread...

mtbr member
    I have nothing informative to add to the conversation other than this, I tried a Alfine 8 on my Surly Pugsley, quite enjoyed it for the 5 weeks it functioned properly and found that for me it was not robust enough.

This summer I purchased a Surly Moonlander and wanted to build it up "hell for stout" with the absolute best parts I could muster, so I chose a Rohloff. This hub has been one of the most enjoyable pieces of bike equipment I have ever owned and worth every cent I paid for it!!! Would I buy another? Yes I would and I would add a Gates sprocket to it and go belt drive!!!

Oliver "Ollie" Whalley used on on his ride of the Tour Divide this year and had little to no complaints.

Mark Beaumont did 18,000 miles on his Guinness World Record ride around the world.

There are others but I'd say despite the ones that have failed, there are some exemplary examples of these hubs doing a marvelous job!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I guess I'm going to have to ride one to see how I like it, but with the costs I think I'm willing to even lose out a little for ease of maintenance.

Yoreskillz, what sort of weight did the Moonlander finish at? A weight weenie I'm not, but the Ogre is on the heavy side already, so I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindiu View Post
    Very informative thread...
    MBTR has a high signal-to-noise ratio.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    "Personally I'm not concerned that my IGH bikes are saving me $$$. What I really care about is that they are saving me hassles - both in terms of maintenance and performance."

This is why even with its niggles i still have my 'hoff !

When i dont feel like riding SS i can throw it on in minutes ( i keep it set up with a tire read to go and have the chain set up with a gear so its the same length in 32:18 as it is in 38:14 rohloff.

I know i still wont get any hassle from mud !

"- my GF is a born again bike commuter. She rides most says year round in BC. She's not bike savvy. Her bike has a Nexus 8 IGH without a chain tensioner. It requires very little attention to continue to run perfectly. That means she doesn't have to think much about her bike and I just have to check it once a month to keep it rolling along."

This also - mrs T-r has a dayone alfine for commuting to work and i like you look at it once a month keep it rolling , keep it safe. Saves everyone time , she used to use an easton tubed 950gram custom Omega with a pink flame paint job that i bought for her birthday a couple years back - not only did she wreck an ultegra SL gruppo in 6 months but i had to constantly tweek it , keep it sweet because she would commute on it daily then want to race it twice a week also.

Im not a complete IHG hater i just wanted to point out that they are not the magic solution for everyone . When i was looking round i had a bunch of folk telling me they were and i had one guy - a friend who id known to have had a rohloff but sold it and he was telling me exactly what im telling you now.

Please try and get a test ride on one for a weekend - make up your own mind before spunking alot of cash on a marmite hub.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_rat View Post
    When i dont feel like riding SS i can throw it on in minutes ( i keep it set up with a tire read to go and have the chain set up with a gear so its the same length in 32:18 as it is in 38:14 rohloff.
    Which reminds me - is changing tyres a royal PITA with a Rohloff on?

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HelmutHerr View Post
    Which reminds me - is changing tyres a royal PITA with a Rohloff on?
    easy withthe external mech, but I have never tried the other version. The wheel comes off completely withteh x-mech. You only need to align the tab ont he hub when putting back on, with the drop out, or otherdevice supplied. Not much differnt to aligning a disc into it's caliper.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    rohhloff pisses on alfine for wheel changability with the click box

good security tip for touring with rohloff

when im going into a shop/cafe etc ... i always keep it in sight but equally i will kick the gear box into lowest gear - which at 90 rpm does about 4mph then i remove the clickbox and leave it flapping. - its a 2 second job but it means theif jumps on bike pedals - changes gear , nothing happens.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_rat View Post
    rohhloff pisses on alfine for wheel changability with the click box
    Thanks. That's where I'm getting confused, because the Alfine is a bit notorious for that.

I'm conscientious with locking the bike, and it's a 26" frame with very high seat, so most would-be thieves will have to push it. I'm more worried about someone just cutting the wheel off.

N/A
    Feb 2004
    Just add my 2 cents worth...I sold my Rohloff 10 years ago after a year and around 4k miles of use. There are a few gears when selected that "tick" noisily, some more so than others (this annoyed me a little). The bottom seven gears were like cycling in treacle/molasses with a few degrees of crank movement before power was transferred to the rear wheel
    This is exactly my Rohloff experience, with a similar vintage hub. Still have mine and use it on the trails with my kid on a trail-a-bike, but it's been relegated to "non-serious ride" duty. The drag on gears 1-7 make them very unpleasant to ride. Traditional derailleur setups are much more smooth and quiet for me. For that matter, I have a Nexus 8 on a Breezer Uptown that is much smoother than the Rohloff. It just doesn't have the gear range that I want for MTB.

It's very possible that the new Rohloff hubs are better or that the older ones had a wide range of sample variance. The problem is that I certainly wasn't in a position to buy 3 hubs to try out and keep the best sample. Rolled the dice, tried the hub, wasn't happy with its performance, will likely not buy another.

mtbr member

Well shiii

As a prospective rohloff customer and an ever conscious deal hunter, this whole rift between old and new really concerns me. I've had my eye on this guy for a while now having almost pulled the trigger a few late nights. Anyone have insight into when/if the change happened? A big thank you to everyone contributing to this thread - you can't really do too much research when buying a $1300 piece of kit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renruthsoj View Post
    Anyone have insight into when/if the change happened?

I only have two Rohloffs and they are relatively new so I can't speak to the problems of old vs. new, but one easy way to gauge a Rohloff's age is that they switched from stickers to laser engraving a few years ago. My oldest Rohloff is from 2008 and it is laser engraved so a hub with a sticker is definitely older vintage than that.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast