Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,194

    Dumb belt drive question?

    Do belt drives and internally geared hubs play well together? Just wondering...

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: swift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    590
    All roses as long as you can find a suitable cog for your hub.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    17
    and a suitable frame where you can open up the rear triangle.

    Gates makes a cog for the Alfine.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10
    Yep,

    Watch the ID-Works site. they combined belt drive with a rohlof hub.
    Santos is also constructing a special frame for this combination.

    Really what you call a maintenance free bike, install and forget

    Santos mountainbike SCC-03 Rohloff met riem-aandrijving means:
    Santos mountainbike SCC-03 Rohloff with belt drive

  5. #5
    Frt Range, CO
    Reputation: pursuiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,461
    I'm not convinced. If an IGH's chain is pulled tight it wears the drive side bearings and kills the hub. Belt drives require more tension than a chain drive, how can that be good for the IGH?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10
    Its a belt like used in the car industry to set the timing of the valves. Its one with teeths so the tention on the sprocket is rather small.

    The manufactorer made the first sprockets of magnesium but they wereout to fast so the ones in production are made of steel

    Like on the picture

    Sorry for my crappy english, like to see you write in dutch

    Picture is found on the website of SANTOS a Dutch custombike builder
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Roppie; 12-15-2009 at 12:30 AM.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    16

    New question here. where can I get one in the USA?

    the concept is fantastic - rohloff reliability and smoothness, and belt drive instead of a chain!

    The first time I rode a Trek District, I thought adding a rohloff rear hub would make it the perfect urban commuter, but Santos is really onto something awesome that works off road!

    So, what's keeping other bike companies from making a product like this available in the US? Is a custom build or european import the only way to get my hands on a bike like the Santos SCC-03?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2xPneu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by joeworrall
    the concept is fantastic - rohloff reliability and smoothness, and belt drive instead of a chain!

    The first time I rode a Trek District, I thought adding a rohloff rear hub would make it the perfect urban commuter, but Santos is really onto something awesome that works off road!

    So, what's keeping other bike companies from making a product like this available in the US? Is a custom build or european import the only way to get my hands on a bike like the Santos SCC-03?
    You can do it in the US...

    Milk Money, Rohloff, and a Belt

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    16

    Good job! what frameset can I use to build one like this?

    thanks - the bike on that post is a Lenz Sport, correct? I "googled" them, and their website is either down or dead... I didn't see anything in the thread that talked about what bike shop(s) built the bike, and I'm definitely interested!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2xPneu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by joeworrall
    thanks - the bike on that post is a Lenz Sport, correct? I "googled" them, and their website is either down or dead... I didn't see anything in the thread that talked about what bike shop(s) built the bike, and I'm definitely interested!
    Yeah, It's a Lenz Milk Money. You need to work with Phil Wood to make the cogs...it's not something you can buy as is. The frame is a stock item, but you'll need to make the rest happen on your own.

  11. #11
    Music & Bikes
    Reputation: fokof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    934
    Quote Originally Posted by Roppie
    Santos mountainbike SCC-03 Rohloff met riem-aandrijving means:
    Santos mountainbike SCC-03 Rohloff with belt drive
    Just curious ;
    Checking the photos of those bikes , where the heck is the opening for the belt ?

    http://www.santosbikes.com/?ct=bikes...inbikes,santos
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •