mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Di2, I'm in . . . If . . . . . . . . . . . .

Hey-o. Oddly, with the advent of di2 and the sweet looking drop bar set up, I find myself REALLY considering putting my drop bar rigid mtn bike together as a fun igh machine. But, upon sharing my excitement with a few buddies, two questions have been raised to lay like wet blankets upon my party. Can ya'll shed a little light on them for me ?

1. Durability. I'm hearing stories of blown, hyperfrustating Alfine 11's on fat bikes. and, skipping in lower gears when the hubs are used mtn biking, as opposed to commuting. Mine would be going on a pretty nice rigid 29er, being used for fun speedy riding over flowing and kwik midwestern terrain, and the occasional race on that terrain. What is the word on the bulletproof ness of alfines ?

2. Drag. Given that last sentence, I'm getting some hate from a few guys, saying the drag issue is truly that, and thinking of racing an igh against free hubs is just silly. So, lined up side by side with an equally fat and unfit guy with number plated zip tied onto our steeds, how much am I giving away on my spiffy new di2 Alfine?

A million apologies for asking for input on a topic I am sure have ground to dust a million times over . . But to me the new di2 / drop bar offerings from shims no are gonna be shining a lot of attention on igh, and their uses so maybe a review is in order ?

Thanx a bunch, all. Really excited to hear what ya might have to say.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by T mon T View Post
    1. Durability. I'm hearing stories of blown, hyperfrustating Alfine 11's on fat bikes. and, skipping in lower gears when the hubs are used mtn biking, as opposed to commuting. Mine would be going on a pretty nice rigid 29er, being used for fun speedy riding over flowing and kwik midwestern terrain, and the occasional race on that terrain. What is the word on the bulletproof ness of alfines?
    Something that has been an issue for some people with Alfine hubs (the 11 more so than the 8) is how sensitive they are to cable alignment and how being slightly out can lead to shifting and/or durability problems. With an electronic system I'm guessing this problem is eliminated, with the shifting being factory aligned as the cable only carries an electrical signal.

I had a "Holy WTF!" moment when I read the announcement and was pretty excited. I'm wondering if there are any special frame requirements and also the price difference for the Di2 version.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013