Thread: cost comparison

mtbr member

New question here. cost comparison

Buying an internal hub covers the costs of a hub a cassette and rear derailure. Any other things I'm missing? 600-1200 is a lot for a single bike part. I'm in the planning stages of a new bike build with a banshee paradox frame . I'm really interested in a geared hub and want to price it up.

Music & Bikes
    With my derailleur setup , I had to change chain + maybe middle chianring each year , sometimes chain twice a year , small and big plate + cassette every two three year , rear derailleur depending on the rocks , maybe every 3-4 years , shifters each 4-5 years so I figure that in 8 years I must have changed the whole grouppo 2 times.

I bought my Rohloff 8-9 years ago , cost me $1200 at that time for everything.

I figure that by now , it has been paid by itself.
    Each year passing is now "free" if I may say so
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

Frt Range, CO
    Which hubs are you considering?

mtbr member
    Alfine 8 speed. Looks like they have pre built wheels that might be the way to go. I'm starting to hate drive chains and full suspension.

~ B A D A S S ~
    count cost/gear and cost/gram loss and lifetime/gear vs cost too. I have a feeling for a "poweruser" the cost of owning an igh is far above the dereilleur system, any system, spread out over a few years, lets say 5. And when it fails its all dead. what you in reality is paying for is convenience. It all fails at once, thats quite convenient if ask me. Then it lasts for another 5 years or so. After you pay that is. Good old sachs steel hubs lasted for like 20-60 years though (with no service at all) so there is potential in the system if done right. Those were 2 or 3 gear though
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    So cost for igh is either equal to or slightly more expensive first year. How do the different brands Händel drops and hits.?