A God Without A Name

Considering an Alfine 11.

Now that I've had the 8 for a while I am in a love/hate relationship with it. The drag stopped being an issue since the rebuild, it actually coasts quite nicely.

My satisfaction is limited at this point only by the little things, the first of them being the space between gears, with only 8 gears across this range I am often left compromising on a good enough gear. Frankly the gear range is plenty wide to me. I just want more even spacing. smaller steps.

Oh, and a crisper shifter would be nice.

So the 11 apparently has even less drag (Which really interests me, as the drag on the 8 is already TEENY) An upgraded shifter (though I really doubt I'm going to be willing to pay for Di2. unless it's just the mindblowingest ever.) And better spacing.

what I still don't like about the 8 is a sloppy feeling shifter and the gear spacing. It was rather fidgety getting the hub adjusted initially (though installation is actually quite easy, as is servicing!) Other than that I'm a pretty happy camper.

I'm on the fence between the new 105 and this. Both systems have their ups and downs.

So my question is, does the 11 have crisper shifting and more natural gearing? is the Di2 even worth it?

Frt Range, CO
    I have an regular cable shift Alfine 11, the shift action isn't any better or precise than an oil-filled Alfine 8 (and no grip shifter which I prefer). Gear deltas are much better on the 11. I find the 5th to 6th gear delta on the 8 to be very irritating, esp when riding with another person.

I had my 11 on a Krampus that I rode on MTB trails using 26tx20t gearing, no issues with reliability. I never shift an IGH under load. I moved from the midwest to Colorado and I needed more gears, my Alfine11 is sitting now. I've been looking at a Straggler to use the 11 on but have resisted so far....

IGHs are for those of us that need to be different, the 105 system is much more LBS friendly. I do my bike building/fixing (including wheel building), IGH is almost a statement for me. Here in Longmont I am constantly stopped and questioned about my IGH bike, makes good conversation with like-mined strangers.

A God Without A Name
    There is very little I trust the LBS to do, I fix my own things as well, I also helped run a bike co-op and was one of their top instructors. I know what you're saying about that attention though, I'd be lying if I didn't admit I liked it!

Seems like what I really need to do is find one I can take for a spin.

singlespeed smash brother
    The more I tinker with my alfine 8 the more I like it. Like you the gear steps bugged me but I addressed it by using a 32 X 22 chain ring cog combo. This Made it so the gears I used for flat, climbing and Dh are grouped either side of the 2 biggest gear jumps. Now I don't notice them so much. I also transformed the shifting and coasting performance by injecting 7ml of auto transmition oil into the hub by removing the non drive side cone. That has made a huge difference to shifting. No sticky shifts or missed shifts since.

A God Without A Name
    Yeah, the ATF really does the trick.

as much as I like the Alfine, I'm floating between Di2 Alfine 11 and 105-5800.

After consulting with several trusted LBS employees, I know that the Di2 will address the dull shifts. and I already knew the 11 does good things for gear steps.

mtbr member
    An Alfine 11 with Di2 must be getting close to the price of a Rohloff.

A God Without A Name
    Quote Originally Posted by -jes View Post
    An Alfine 11 with Di2 must be getting close to the price of a Rohloff.
    I've been running some numbers on it. and even with the worst deal it would be sub 900. (I may have gotten closer to 700. but we will see what can happen when I've got the money in the bank.)

And that is for a complete system with internal battery.

comparing that to the Rohloff, which has just a massively annoying shifter. I was finding a build in the range of 1,100 to 1,700 depending on a LOT of variables.

in spite of the fact a Rohloff is a far superior hub. It's not going on this bike. every single part of the shifting mechanism from the shifter to the dogbone is very ugly, very hard to mount and not really compatible with my future plans for the bike.

complete system to complete system, In the ballpark of retail pricing. is like 900 vs 1,400.

so yeah. not too close.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post

complete system to complete system, In the ballpark of retail pricing. is like 900 vs 1,400.

so yeah. not too close.
    Comparing an Alfine [8 or 11] to a Rohloff is like comparing a Rav 4 to a military Hummer [not the pretend ones sold to soccer moms].

If you have the attention span to actually keep it and use it the Rohloff is cheaper on a per/km basis, more robust/reliable with a wider gear range.

I've got A8's, an A11 and a couple Rohloffs. The A8 is a good choice due to price vs. functionality. The Rohloff is a good choice for reliability, gear range and service life.

The A11 is not as clear a choice due to the much higher cost relative to the A8 for modest gains. I doubt I'd ever buy another A11.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com