mtbr member

Choosing an IGH hub for 1, possibly 2 builds?

I didn't realize there was an IGH forum before posting over in the Drivetrain area. I'm considering building up a geared bike out of an EBB singlespeed frame. Specs:

On-One Inbred EBB SS
    26" wheels
    Vertical dropouts
    Disc brakes only

From what I understand, an IGH should work. My 60 y/o father will be riding this mostly on pavement and light trails at their weekend cabin in the Midwest. I'm leaning toward an Alfine 8 due to cost but haven't read too many recent reviews or feedback. I would like to hear more opinions before going this route.

The 2nd build would see more all-purpose use. The frame would be a Surly Ogre that would see weekend pavement/trails/groceries/family rides/mild bikepacking/maybe pulling a trailer at some point. I'm considering the Alfine 8 or the Alfine 11. Reviews on the Alfine 11 do not inspire confidence but many are old. If you were building up a new all-purpose rig, what would you choose?

Rohloff is not an option; way out of my budget.

Thanks for any help!
    Ventana El Rey
    Felt F35
    Schwinn High Plains

Project - Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    For me I like the Allfine 11. I am running mostly pavement, no trails. Although if I was doing easy trails I would not see a problem, no technical rock garden stuff. I have one on my ebike commuter and I am having a custom touring/commuter built bike now and will be using the Allfine 11 on that as well.

I have had very good results with the IGH and have no plans to go back to a derailer system. I will run drop bars and versa shifters like I do on the ebike. Although a weight penalty I believe it is worth it. I have got used to the shifting of the IGH and prefer that over the derailer system.

mtbr member
    I've used A8's with no issues in a variety of situations. They are hard to beat for value.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    *edit wrong reply.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I just pm'd you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I run an Alfine 11 on two sets of wheels. They both work well and I've had no issues. Only maintenance I've had to do is re-adjust shifter for alignment -- if I reinstalled everything again I'd go for some better aftermarket cables and housings.
    Please stop telling me about your quiver, it makes me feel unclean...

http://www.mistermcfeely.com
    <- My Blog

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    On my Allfine 11 I did replace my original 4 mm cable housing with a 5 mm housing which seemed to help shifting in the winter. During the winter it seemed to want to stick more and actually froze up in real cold weather making it not shift any higher than about 4th gear. With this in mind I still use the "inside sliding cable" for a 4 mm housing inside my 5 mm housing.

The LBS recommended doing this as it would allow a little more room for error if water or dirt were to get inside the cable which is what I suspect happened with the original 4mm cable and housing that came on the bike. My shifting works very good!