mtbr member
    May 2014

Which to choose?

Need some help making a decision here...
    I have a mountain bike and I have been interested in these internal gear hubs but I really don't understand the gearing mumbo jumbo. From reading the forum for the last 45min I think I want either the N360 or the Alfine SGS501 8 speed, but I do not know because I don't understand the gearing information too well.
    I like my 21 speeds fine, it give me a good low low and I could use maybe a bit higher high for road driving but it is ok as is. I got a 7 gear rear hub and I drive trails with rocky muddy stretches water crossings loose gravel and dirt. Not a lot of hills but I do hit the occasional climb.
    Which one is going to last? How will the gears compare to what I am running? (I don't know my specific tooth counts and what not but I am pretty sure it is a department store bike with standard out of box gearing and kit) Any options I am over looking?
    Thanks for the help.

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    From what I've been able to gather, the only IGH that'll have a similar gear spread to a standard MTB with tripple rings up front is a Rohloff...at about $1500.00. The Alfine8 and other similar units will only have a gear spread similar to running one ring in front and 8 speeds in back.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    What about keeping the front 3 speed sprocket in conjunction with the rear IGH? Or will the IGH not handle the 3 speed front sprocket?

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tylenol View Post
    What about keeping the front 3 speed sprocket in conjunction with the rear IGH? Or will the IGH not handle the 3 speed front sprocket?
    Most IGH manufacturers seem to recommend a primary drive ratio in the 1.7:1 range, and much of the gearing in a triple would exceed the torque rating of those recommended ratios.

Beyond that....a triple front would require a rear derailleur which would negate much of the IGH's advantage.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    I bought the A8 and the A11. If I were to do it again, I'd buy the A11. Good spread of ratios and it has been durable.