mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Cheapest place to buy a Rohloff Speedhub online

I have been looking around the net for a good price on a Speedhub. Ebay usually has them very cheap but almost always are used. I am more interested in a new Speedhub. Universal Cycles has one fore $1,300 (http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=2713) and I also found one on Starbike in Europe for $1,092 (http://www.starbike.com/php/product_...ng=en&pid=5208) at todays exchange rate. Although, I am not sure if duties have to be paid which may equal the two prices out. Anyway if you have any suggestions or ways to find a new Speedhub on the cheap, please post.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    starbike can lower invoice price. But there are very low custom taxes in US. You can buy it from there.

I found a good deal on ebay.de

On MTBR hiatus :(
    I imported my first Speedhub from New Zealand. Customs overcharged me the import duty by nearly double, adding around $150 to the "bail" to get it from the post office. And that was for the hub at around $650. I evenutally got my Customs overcharge refunded, but just be aware of extra charge.

Also, Rohloff USA tracked serial numbers and knew what hubs were originally sold in the US vs. other countries. The way Thomas explained it at the time, he was on the hook for any warranty repair costs, and had been seeing a flood of imported damaged hubs being sold by Storck cycles (apparently a load of bikes went overboard into the English Channel and had salt water damage -- they were showing up on eBay regularly). In any case, Thomas said he had the right to deny domestic warranty coverage, which would force the owner to send the hub back to German for any service. I don't know if he ever followed through with this threat, I don't know if Cycle Monkey (the current US service provider now that Rohloff USA is defunct) has the same practice. I do know that the hubs rarely need to go in for service, so it's not a high stakes gamble to buy overseas.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    I imported my first Speedhub from New Zealand. Customs overcharged me the import duty by nearly double, adding around $150 to the "bail" to get it from the post office. And that was for the hub at around $650. I evenutally got my Customs overcharge refunded, but just be aware of extra charge.

once I've had to pay $30 custom taxes for $1500 guitar shipped to US from Canada.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ned

once I've had to pay $30 custom taxes for $1500 guitar shipped to US from Canada.
    It's ridiculous -- type "bicycle" into the search box at the following URL: http://hts.usitc.gov/

There are differing import rates assigned to complete bikes, frame tubing, big wheels, small wheels, spokes, rim strips, 3-speed hubs, brake parts, blah blah blah. Oh, and country of origin, too.

US Customs took the easy way out and charged my Speedhub, sprocket, chainring and another part the highest bicycle-related rate they could find. I had to pay the full amount, then write a letter explaining what each component was and what category I thought it fell in to, in my request for a refund.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I am getting the hub shipped to Canada, I just looked at the tariff schedule and it looks like if the hub is not build into a wheel yet then there is no tariff applied. I assume I would only then pay sales tax. This seems to be the cheapest to me so far.

Bike Dork
    Quote Originally Posted by justilew
    I am getting the hub shipped to Canada, I just looked at the tariff schedule and it looks like if the hub is not build into a wheel yet then there is no tariff applied. I assume I would only then pay sales tax. This seems to be the cheapest to me so far.
    You will pay a duty + GST + PST on any bike part import into Canada. Depending on the shipper the duty can be as low as about $45. If you can get the part to ship from England it's cheaper I believe. I worked in a shop up there for 3 years and had to deal with this stuff all the time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I bought mine on eBay from Australia in 2005 for 340 - UK customs didn't charge me anything for some reason - it may have been officially 2nd hand but it hadn't been used. One thing to bear in mind is that a lightly used (2000km or so) hub is the best of all - it's started to quiet down and you shouldn't have to pay customs duties on it. I find the only "wear" that's an issue is abuse to the shifter and its box and I've done over 20,000km on it now with a mix of commuting (on salted roads), touring and downhilling. The hub itself just keeps on getting better - quieter, smoother (now on it's 3rd rim and 3rd frame, 2nd cog).