Goat of Legend

Cheapest Place to buy an Alfine

I've been researching the Shimano Alfine rear hub for some time now and am seeking to put it to use in the Colorado High Country. I remember seeing a thread with a link in it to a UK company that ships to the US Free with what I seem to remember about $145 Eur. Any one got some links for deals on the Alfine?

Lost sheep
    Mar 2009
    I bought not just an Alfine hub gear, but a whole bike for 300 last week! It was a "Saracen Pylon 8" from the Rutland Cycles shop on Ebay.

You may have been thinking of Planet-X for just the hub gear itself. They recently had an offer of a free Pompino frame if you bought a basic Alfine group and a carbon fork, which came to 320 in their big sale.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NitrousOxide
    You may have been thinking of Planet-X for just the hub gear itself. They recently had an offer of a free Pompino frame if you bought a basic Alfine group and a carbon fork, which came to 320 in their big sale.
    Is it really free frame ? 200 for bare hub is not cheap..
    You can buy complete Alfine groupset for 189 ($245 167) bike-components.de
    Includes new SGS-501 hub, S500 Rapidfire Shifter, sprocket ,Alfine Fitting Kit and Alfine CT-S500 chain tensioner.

Lost sheep
    Mar 2009
    167 is an excellent price for the Alfine group, excluding the Alfine crankset, beats anything I've spotted in the UK e-stores by miles. I think Planet X have monopolized the UK stock of Alfine, so they are hiking the price up...