Tribe Member

changing brakes on a nexus hub

I have an oppertunity to get a Masi Soulville with a nexus 8 spd hub. It has a coaster brake now. What I would like to do is convert this to a roller brake.

I cant seem to find any info and hoping that someone here might know how to do this.

TIA

Rich
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

President, CEO of Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich
    I have an oppertunity to get a Masi Soulville with a nexus 8 spd hub. It has a coaster brake now. What I would like to do is convert this to a roller brake.

I cant seem to find any info and hoping that someone here might know how to do this.

TIA

Rich
    I believe the coaster brake hub and the roller brake hub are two different products. The coaster brake is insiide the hub and the roller brake bolts on to a splined interface on the outsiide. Even if you can de-activate the coaster brake and have the hub work reliably as a 'freewheel' hub, there is no way to mount a roller brake on it. I think.
    Maybe someone has figured out a mod, though.
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

Tribe Member
    thanks for the update. I was able to find a Nexus hub for v brake or it appears you can put on a roller brake. going to be building this up on my yeti ARC frame with the new Versa drop bar shifters. think this will make the ultimate commuter bike. will post pics once it has been built up. just need to find a carbon 26" fork now
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

Frt Range, CO
    Roller braked Nexus, the brake isn't much to write about, get a little better with use. I'd go with a v-brake or disc before I spent the $$ on another roller brake.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    Roller braked Nexus, the brake isn't much to write about, get a little better with use. I'd go with a v-brake or disc before I spent the $$ on another roller brake.
    Agreed. I like the rollerbrake for my snow bike, which has no disc tabs. The IGH and rollerbrake combo works well in the snow, compared to v-brake config, where you get snow building up at the brakes and icing on the rims.
    baker

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build Rich!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'd stick with disc or centerpull, very retro.

I've got a roller brake like the one pursuiter pictured & it's heavy! But I bought it specifically for a frame without a rear disc caliper mount. Weighed the pros & cons, & decided I'd prefer the all-weather braking of the roller brake despite it's significant weight penalty.