Thread: Chainline

mtbr member

Chainline

If the Race Face Atlas cranks provide a 48-50mm chain line would it be possible to run the middle ring with bash and the Rohloff with a decent chainline?

73mm BB Shell.

What are my options if any?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    I've seen it done, but I don't know how anybody gets an acceptable chainline out of these setups.

A 48mm chainline (measured from the traditional middle ring position) will place your outer ring right around the 54mm mark, which is in line with the rear cog of the Speedhub.

A millimeter or two I can excuse, but even a 4mm difference (which is what you'd have if you ran your chainring @ 50 in the middle position and a bash guard at the outer) is significant and noisy.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    I spoke with Race Face today. I can space it out to 52~53 with the included spacers. I just hope my left crank arm clears the stay. I could also ditch the bash and just run the outer position.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Sounds feasible. Also, consider running the bash guard inside the chainring.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Are you going to run a big front sprocket? If not, you don't need to worry about a bash guard. I run a 32 on my Alfine and it gives tons of clearance.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Ill run a 35 or 36....the bash is probably just extra weight but the BB on my new build is a bit lower than I am used too so I decided to try and run it. Ill see how it lines up and make a decision at that point.