Tribe Member

chain tensioner?

I have searched the forum and looked at pics of bikes but cant find any info on what I want to do.

I am building up a Yeti ARC with a Nexus rear hub. Going to be using a XT crankset with 2 rings at times, but most of the time it will be a single 42t ring.

Should I run a chain tensioner/rear der setup? I know that I need it for the 2 ring setup.

I dont know if I can run the magic gear since the bike has vertical dropouts on it.

Anybody got any suggestions for this

TIA
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

Frt Range, CO
    With half links I thought it was easy to a magic gear on any bike? In any case, the dislike for tensioners is mainly a visual thing, performance-wise it's a wash. The double ring thing is done by a few, I don't have the need for such a wide range so I stick with single chainring.

Ride Responsibly
    Use a Paul Melvin and you can do a double up front. I did that for a while, one rear, two front. No derailleurs.
    Just manual it to the granny at the bottom of a long uphill. Nine speed in back these days though.