Freelance Whatever

Buttering up the Lobster..

Hey guys! I am thinking about giving my Rock Lobster SS a makeover and I'm considering adding in an Alfine to the mix. I have some questions about the set up. I have horizontal drops (Paul's), would this be an issue? Also, as far as building up the rear wheel, do I need a different length of spoke because of the hub size? This would be for a 26" wheel. Finally, do I need to run the cable along the chainstay or up the seatstay, or is it personal preference? I'm sure there will be more questions, but that's all I got for now. Thanks for any help you can offer!

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The spokes will be shorter but that is no issue. The lack of dish makes for a stronger wheel as do the high flanges, so the Alfine is a plus. There are no issues using horizontal drops, you just use the other set of supplied washers. Running the cable up the seatstays will probably require a bit of tweaking (had to on my set up), but it is easy to do.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Freelance Whatever

spoke length?

How short are we talking? Or is it listed in the instructions for the hub? I work at a shop, so I can get them cut to whatever length... And install looks fairly straight forward. As long as the hub comes with the proper spacers, it should be smooth sailing, right?

Candlestick Maker
    Spoke length is dependent upon ERD of the rim and which spoke pattern you use. As an example, my Nexus wheel build is going to use 248mm long spokes for a 3-cross pattern with an Echo Trials rim (536 erd). I cannot remember what the spoke lengths were for my Alfine wheel build, but google spocalc and use that spreadsheet to determine spoke lengths for a given rim ERD and hub dimensions.
    baker

Freelance Whatever

difference between Nexus and Alfine?

I've just checked with our supplier and the Alfines are out of stock. Is there much difference between these two (as there are Nexus hubs still available)? I'll be running rim brakes, so the centerlock ability doesn't matter much to me. I'm sure one is a little heavier than the other. Anything else? Is there a trigger shift for the Nexus? Thanks for all your help!

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The Nexus premium has the same guts as the Alfine as far as I know.

The newest Alfine has triple rollers and the equivalent Nexus should be # SG-8R36, and SG-8C36. One is coaster brake, the other roller.

I have no idea which of these you'd want. As for shifting they all use the same shifter, either grip or trigger.

Double check before you order, I've been known to have a brain fart or 6 from time to time!

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Freelance Whatever

a rohloff resolution?

would I be able to slide a rohloff speedhub into the horizontal dropouts on my Rock Lobster? Just by looking at the way things are set up, I think it could work out ok. My RL is SS specific, with Paul's drop outs, so do you think that would be an option?