mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Breaking in Rohloff Hub

I got a Rohloff hub for MTB riding recently. It is smoother than I had expected given all the reports of rough gearing in the beginning. I find the noise is loudest in gear 7, but very tolerable. Freewheeling seems to produce more sounds in gear 8 and 10 than other gears.

My questions is what will help to break in the Rohloff hub.

Do I need to keep shifting constantly and grinding out the gear changes, or does spinning in any gear will break in all the gears? Are there any gearing to ride in that will be most efficient in breaking the hub in most quickly?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sevencyclist View Post
    I got a Rohloff hub for MTB riding recently. It is smoother than I had expected given all the reports of rough gearing in the beginning. I find the noise is loudest in gear 7, but very tolerable. Freewheeling seems to produce more sounds in gear 8 and 10 than other gears.

My questions is what will help to break in the Rohloff hub.

Do I need to keep shifting constantly and grinding out the gear changes, or does spinning in any gear will break in all the gears? Are there any gearing to ride in that will be most efficient in breaking the hub in most quickly?
    Gear number 3 and 5 will use all of the planetary gear sets, so I would think theoretically these gears should provide the most efficient way to break in planetary gears.
    However breaking in the whole gear changing mechanism will need shifting between gears 1-14. So just keep on riding and your hub will be better and better after each mile

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So sounds like instead of hammering or spinning in the same gear top pile on miles, shifting frequently will help. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Yep, even though you are not riding on gear 7 all of the time, it will also break in after proper set of kms/miles. I took audio samples of gear 7 when my hub was new and after 1000km "break in" period. Noise level of gear 7 was lower even though i didn't spin whole 1000km with it
    And to be honest, that noise, what came from fresh hubs gear 7, wasn't as bad what I was imaging from writings, what I red before buying my own hub.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by manensky View Post
    Yep, even though you are not riding on gear 7 all of the time, it will also break in after proper set of kms/miles. I took audio samples of gear 7 when my hub was new and after 1000km "break in" period. Noise level of gear 7 was lower even though i didn't spin whole 1000km with it
    And to be honest, that noise, what came from fresh hubs gear 7, wasn't as bad what I was imaging from writings, what I red before buying my own hub.
    Thanks. Will just ride away and put on the miles.

I agree, I was expecting gear 7 to be loud from some of the comments that I read, but while it is there, it is not loud or annoying, and no worse than a slightly out of chainline arrangement of traditional deraileur system. In fact, I was more surprised by the louder sounds of freewheeling which is interestingly different for every gear, and as loud as my Chris Kings hubs in some.

mtbr member
    With in some time you will get used to those freewheeling noises and you can predict if you have right gear in or not when it is time to pedal again.
    When you are riding in a group, it is sometimes fun to switch on "stealth" mode on downhills. Freewheeling noise almost disappears when hub is on lower gears.

I barf on top tubes
    just ride it..miles are what does it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by greg w View Post
    just ride it..miles are what does it
    +1 - no special break in techniques req'd. Just ride and have fun...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    1+ to just mile's
    I have just got my 2nd Rohloff hub after Selling my old one just over a year ago