mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Best way for dropouts to accomodate Rohloff Hubb

I am interested in building a hard tail mountain bike with Rohloff Hubs, while keeping the option of tradition rear derailer available in case I fail miserably with the IGH. This will be a custom frame, so potentially all options are on the table.

I would definitely prefer not to use the chain tensioner.

Any suggestions of the setup? Is paragon slider the way to go?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I don't see any point in using dropouts specifically designed for a Rohloff. The Monkey Bone is a very elegant solution to anchoring the torque(?) plate & I'd just use that.

As for sliders vs EBB. Each has its pros/cons. Try a search.

I'm new to IGH & bikes with 'adjustable' chainstays but so far I've been quite satisfied with the EBB on my used but new-to-me '05 GF Rig SS. The only cons might be: the added weight, but I'm not a WW & don't care, and also having to tweak my positioning each time I make a major change to the drivetrain. I'm still dialing in my bike, having not ridden in the last 3 years, so it would be a non-issue otherwise as the small amount of adjustment necessary to maintain chain tension wouldn't, I think, require any tweaking of my riding position.

I'll be trying a bike with sliders in the near future, hopefully, though so I'll be able to do a comparison. And unless the sliders don't hold, I've got a feeling I'm going to prefer them to the EBB. Just a simpler solution all around. And that's what I like.

mtbr member

clean

Check out the link below. These are pictures of my bike and how I set up my IGH.

Show off your Rohloff

Sycip: Big J gets his Groove back!

Here is the cleanest set up I found while building my custom steel hardtail. I used the CC OEM DB Speedhub, with special Paragon sliding dropouts made specifically for the Rohloff hub. If you ever decided to go back to a traditional drivetrain you can always purchase an new Paragon slider on the drive side that has a derailleur hanger. You will have to make sure the frame builder adds front and rear cable guides for the traditional drivetrain too. Feel free to ask questions.
    Last edited by BIGfatED; 11-04-2009 at 11:44 AM.