mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've stripped off all of the deraillers and shifters from the 'ol Pugsley. I want to do an IGH setup instead.

So, Rohloff is out because of $$$, so that leaves me with Shimano, Nuvinci, and...Sram?

I'm looking for durability, and strength. I live on the front range, so there will be lots of hard climbing and fast descending in my hubs future.

What is the best reasonably priced hub that will hold up to abuse? I love the idea of the Nuvinci, but the gearing seems to be too tall. Will I have to undergear no matter what option?

Thanks.
    Last edited by ultraspontane; 04-17-2013 at 08:26 PM.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I think with all of your options you'll need to undergear. My suggestion would be the Alfine 8 but its range is too limited for both hard climbs and fast descents.

Aside from the Alfine 11 or the Rohloff, the options are all too narrow ranged for your mission.

The Alfine 11 seems to have a hit or miss in regard to reliability. Some are fine, others not at all.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'd consider the Sram Dualdrive. It would mean you still run a cassette/derailleur at the rear but only a single 28T ring up front. It would give you a range of around 17 gear inches in low and from memory about 85 in high. Those are what my Ogre has with a rohloff. I use a Dualdrive on my Moulton and have done for years so they are dependable.
    They will accept cassettes from 7 speed (with a spacer) to 10 (again from memory).
    If your not familiar with them, they have a 3 speed internal with a cassette on the outside.
    Last edited by rifraf; 04-17-2013 at 11:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Just went from 3x9 on my Pug to Alfine 11 on Moonlander and have been very happy.

I think you just have to learn to shift properly (no load shifts) and keep the cassette hub adjusted (which is very easy).

So far so good.

d

mtbr member

Surly Pugsley - a set on Flickr

I've got 4yrs+ into an Alfine 8 Pugs and wouldn't put a Rohloff in that frame. I'm running 32T x 23T.

alfine 8 pugsley | Search Results | The Lazy Rando Blog...

The low gear is low enough to climb mountain passes with a week's worth of camping gear and food. I don't need to pedal faster downhill than the top gear gives me.

The hub has been robust and when I opened it up recently it looked perfect inside.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Best non-Rohloff IGH for Surly Pugsley

Alfine 8 it is. LBS is building me an Alfine 8 (rear) and a Surly fixed threaded disc hub (front) laced to Marge Lites. I can't wait!

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Good choice. I've run an Alfine 8, a NuVinci, and a Hammerschmidt dinglespeed. For all its quirks, the Alfine 8 wins.

(Excluding, of course, the OMG I cannot justify that feeling with the Rohloff)
    Latitude: 44.93 N

rollin
    Good call on the Alfine8. I have one on my Karate Monkey and one on my Santa Cruz Nickel.
    The Alfine8 hub on my Karate Monkey is over 2 years old and has not had a single issue. Once I got passed the initial cable stretch, I haven't even had to adjust it. The Alfine8 is a great hub.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Cant wait for the pics

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Without further ado:

mtbr member
    May 2011

mtbr member
    I love a nice FAT Alfine'd bike.

Enjoy and let us know how you like it...
    Last edited by vikb; 05-04-2013 at 09:00 AM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    @vikb,
    Didn't you run a 30t front ring for a while?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by efuss View Post
    @vikb,
    Didn't you run a 30t front ring for a while?
    On my Pugsley - no. I've always run a 32T x 23T

I have some 30T rings I could use for those cranks, but haven't bothered installing them.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    We now have an Alfine8 on a Pugs and an Alfine 11 on a 907. Loving each. I would like a 30 front ring for my wife's 907, but the 11 is new to her and she needs more time to adapt before we swap things around.
    Thanks for all the IGH info you have posted Vik.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've been considering an IGH for my new Pugsley down the road. I was leaning Rohloff, but having just had an Alfine-11'd Moonlander as a rental on vacation, I have to say that the '11 was pretty nice to ride!

My decision will probably come down to seeing how much gear range I need on the Pugs (which I can figure out on the derailers). By the time you add the pieces together, I think the `11 is still about 2/3 the price of the Rohloff. Yikes.

Anyone have any experience with the Alfine-11 in freezing weather? Do you need a thinner oil the same way you do with the Rohloff?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    My decision will probably come down to seeing how much gear range I need on the Pugs (which I can figure out on the derailers). By the time you add the pieces together, I think the `11 is still about 2/3 the price of the Rohloff. Yikes.
    The A8 has the same low gear as the A11 and a very useful gear range for a fatbike at a low cost. I've been using the A8 on my Pugs for 5yrs with no complaints.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    The A8 has the same low gear as the A11 and a very useful gear range for a fatbike at a low cost. I've been using the A8 on my Pugs for 5yrs with no complaints.
    I've read most of your posts on the topic, Vic... I'm not surprised to hear you say that. Although, being an engineer, I must note that neither hub "has the same low gear" as the other. A hub + cog + chainring combo can "have the same low gear" but the hubs by themselves just have gear-range...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    I've read most of your posts on the topic, Vic... I'm not surprised to hear you say that. Although, being an engineer, I must note that neither hub "has the same low gear" as the other. A hub + cog + chainring combo can "have the same low gear" but the hubs by themselves just have gear-range...
    If you want to split atoms go ahead. If you want some practical advice based on experience using these hubs let me know.

BTW- I am an engineer as well. I just don't feel the need to be surgically precise with every post I make.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    If you want to split atoms go ahead. If you want some practical advice based on experience using these hubs let me know.
    Fair enough. From my own standpoint it's a substantive difference, but I can see where you might feel differently.