Thread: Axle bolts

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Axle bolts

What do people use to bling up their axles on the Alfine as I am assuming that you typical nice or coloured quick release skewer is not going to work, are there any nice after market end bolts that can at least tidy up the back end.. cheers.
    Last edited by EFMax; 05-18-2009 at 09:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I used track nuts instead of the cap nuts. With the Surly hub on the front, the nuts then match.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I found this LINK which is just what I was after.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    And just to update, the track nuts didn't work. They somehow didn't have enough clamping force and the wheel would eject from the vertical dropouts. Went to the stock cap nuts and all has been good.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    You've got to be very careful about what nuts you use. The axle has pretty much half the threads removed to hold the no turn washers. There is quite a bit less metal holding the wheel on than a plain solid axle. PVD, (the frame guy) shaved off quite a bit off of his nuts (sounds not right-lol) which is maybe less than ok. I thought it was a great idea until I got my own Alfine up and running. My advice is to use the factory nuts, lube the threads liberally, and use use a good torque wrench. The factory torque specs are very tight. 30 foot pounds or so, if I recall correctly.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just fitted up my Alfine today, had to wait for the fixing kit and stuff and I have to say those nuts that I got, do the job just right. On my frame, with the non turn washers in place, there is still a good 12mm of thread for the nuts to grip with. Still waiting for my twist shifter but I like the way the wheel sits in the frame and the can't wait to ride her properly.

Rockstar
    Quote Originally Posted by EFMax
    I found this LINK which is just what I was after.

Alloy axle nuts? I would feel much safer with titanium. I found some on Ebay by searching for M10 titanium. They are in Hungary of all places. Not sure if they are m10x1.0.

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/csalev...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I was thinking about the nuts PVD shaved for his Alfine. I realized that what he did had no effect on security of the wheel since he cut the nuts down, not the axle. Obviously there is the same amount of metal to metal contact on the threading, otherwise the nuts would bottom out. Still though a PITA for a few grams.

Drew
    occasional cyclist