mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Anyone using S-A X-RD8? Reviews?

My ss high sierra is (fingers pinched) this close to getting either a derailleur and freewheel or a heavy hub and this po' schmo ain't getting a rohloff any time soon.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Get an Alfine 8. It's only a little bit more expensive than the Sturmey and many people have ridden one. I have a second hand hub that's still ticking along after several seasons.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Another Retro Grouch
    The SA 8 speed hub's lowest gear (first) is 1:1, there's no underdrive. With a 26" or 29" wheel you'll need a very small front sprocket to get a mountain bike low gear for climbing. I've never seen one on a MTB, I assume the reason is no low gear. A few people use them on full size bikes but the SA 8 really shines on a small wheel folder.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I've ridden a S-A XRK8(W) since shortly after they came out in the spring of 2009 on a road (commuting & light touring) bike I built up, geared 30x25T using the Sturmey FCS80 crank designed to match this hub. This gives 33-101 gear inches on 35x590mm wheels/tires. I use a Jtek bar-end shifter. I've gotten good service out of it and like the operation and ratios a lot for the way I use the bike. It is very unhappy when shifted under any kind of pressure and I don't know of anyone using an XR*8(W) on an off-road bike.

I wouldn't buy one just to save money, and if I was building up a non-Rohloff IGH off-road bike I'd buy a Shimano 8 because of the history of good service those hubs have given. That said, at the 'net retailer I frequent (my LBS sucks) a Sturmey XRK8(W) complete with fittings and shifter goes for $192 and an Alfine 8 plus small parts kit, shifter and cog totals up to $385.

jd

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Much thanks guys!

JD, has that bike been in the rain or snow much?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Duderino View Post
    JD, has that bike been in the rain or snow much?
    No, man, sorry. I live in Texas and there are some small children here who have never seen rain.

banned
    Sep 2012
    The new SA8(W) is husky compared to the old version, and that hub shell contains much beefier parts, so at least SunRace acknowleged the past problems and there has been an attempt to make the original design they inherited from the old British SA more robust. Time will tell.
    The hub is easy to connect/disconnect without tools and initial shift alignment is easy and tolerant. The hub seems to stay in adjustment well.

It's all here : Sedona Arizona