Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    A God Without A Name

Anyone ever have an LBS be totally lost with their IGH?

After having some concerns with drag and knowing I was coming up on my initial servicing. I dropped the bike off at the LBS for said service. I'd had 3 conversations with them before hand, so I knew they had the tools.

So, I checked the bike in, came back the next day to check on it... and my bike was sitting on the showroom floor. Nothing had been done to the hub. They told me they took the wheel off, spun it, and put it back on.

I asked why, they said it seemed fine. I asked if they opened it up and they said no... So, miffed that my bike was left sitting in the showroom all day. I rode it home.

I calmed down for a few days and went back in to ask them if they COULD do the servicing I talked about. they stumbled a bit. then said they'd need to look up what goes into that (In spite of telling me that they could do it no problem, when I dropped it off) I told them I could tell them exactly what goes into it. I can also show them how to do it and what tools they'll need.

With that info they were able to give me a price.

I can easily do this work myself. I just don't want to buy the tools or bother the Miss with the mess. But I feel as though I might have to.hub is still not past its recommended servicing. but I like to do these a little early. given the moisture around here and my weight.

this is the most recommended LBS in the county. and I don't feel particularly confident in their abilities to handle this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I wouldn't pay them to performthe service, they are asking you how to complete the work, that gives me very little faith in their abilities to satisfactory complete the job.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    ^ this

Do you have a co op or place that has open shop/diy hours? That way you can use their tools and not make a mess at home.

mtbr member
    I can't think of any special tools req'd to service an Alfine 8. Nothing that is any sort of major investment.

You can do it outside if the smell of the ATF fluid is an issue.

It doesn't take very long.

That LBS sounds clueless, but I have only ever encountered one LBS that was IGH savvy and the had Rohloff parts in their front counter so I knew they were odd balls.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

A God Without A Name
    Quote Originally Posted by scubaklook View Post
    ^ this

Do you have a co op or place that has open shop/diy hours? That way you can use their tools and not make a mess at home.
    I'm an instructor at my local Co-Op, and I technically am able to go on any 5 hours in a day, but given the 16 mile commute and my job, I can't get in there as often as I'd like. I don't feel right making the Co-Op buy tools I know only I would use. I have made them get spoke tension meters and some other more specific tools. but I feel like making them get the wrench to smoothly take the side of this hub off, or the bearing tools (In the rare chance that I'd need them) would be excessive.

I am getting to the point, though. where I don't really see the need to support my LBS. As of late they charge above MSRP and treat me like a second rate customer because they know I am just as capable at doing the labor as they are.

But sometimes you just want to pay for the convenience. Which they are making not an option.

that being said, I am one of those jerks that is only ever satisfied with my own adjustments. as anyone who has ever learned to adjust cones from me can attest.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    You don't really need the wrench to take the dust cap off. Removed mine with a small flathead screwdriver and some patience.

It sounds like this is one of those things where your standard of quality is above the LBS because they just don't get that much exposure to this kind of product. Unfortunately it takes a lot of intestinal fortitude to admit "Yeah, I don't know how to handle this" after having initially promised competency.

They should have called you as soon as they realized they had no plan of action. My car mechanic does this when he encounters something goofy or just wants me to sit and wait on something I'm concerned about.

Generally I agree that most LBS outfits have little IGH exposure. A few in my area do, and one is *really* good at it, Freewheel Bike in Minneapolis.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    You don't really need the wrench to take the dust cap off. Removed mine with a small flathead screwdriver and some patience.
    +1 - same here. We've spent more time chatting about the service the it would actually take to do it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    A pair of slip-joint pliers will easily remove the dust cap - all that you need other than that are cone spanners. If you've got half an hour why not just do the job yourself?

A God Without A Name
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
    A pair of slip-joint pliers will easily remove the dust cap - all that you need other than that are cone spanners. If you've got half an hour why not just do the job yourself?
    because I live in a one bedroom apartment with someone else, and I have been trying to be considerate of her due to the mess/odors.

that being said, Vik is right. I can do the job correctly in less than 45 minutes. I've put more work into typing in this topic than it would take to just do it myself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: Anyone ever have an LBS be totally lost with their IGH?

I can echo the general knowledge level of most bike shops as far as IGHs go. They're not terribly common in the States, so most people feel no need to learn to work on them.

That said, not knowing how to work on Shimano hubs is unacceptable, considering they publish an industry-only site (a portion of it, really) that specifically deals with servicing their IGH models.

Being that it is free, they really have no excuse on that front.

A God Without A Name
    Agreed.

I've watched about 5 videos on servicing these hubs. read through several tech PDF's and then went and found a video (that I have since lost) illustrating the way these hubs work in an exploded CGI diagram/film.

Combining that with my mechanical experience/training in other films. I can safely say the Alfine 8 is not a hard item to fix. provided you understand the level of precision required to fix it.

It looks like it was engineered with the servicer in mind. many of the gears that have to be "timed" are color coded at the appropriate locations, and the whole unit opens so easily.

I'd rather be doing this than replacing a blend door motor in a modern car. those things are usually beasts.

Frt Range, CO
    I did the dip in my apartment using an amazon shipping box full of shipping paper to catch the drips. But since your hub is brand new, I'd just pour a capful of ATF into the left side and properly adjust the cones. You can do the dip in another 1K miles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    I did the dip in my apartment using an amazon shipping box full of shipping paper to catch the drips. But since your hub is brand new, I'd just pour a capful of ATF into the left side and properly adjust the cones. You can do the dip in another 1K miles.
    Good point. I didn't open my A8 for the first 5yrs...lol...and when I did it looked so good I didn't dip it. I just re-greased the bearings and buttoned it up.

Just skip the service and ride the IGH.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Anyone ever have an LBS be totally lost with their IGH?

I've found most lbs's are lost quickly with anything outside of the cycling mainstream, and igh usually falls out of it. Most bike shop employees are kids working summer jobs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

Just skip the service and ride the IGH.
    The owner of this hub is wishing he had serviced it. He brought it to me this morning complaining it wasn't working and his bike shop didn't know how to fix it.
    I said the only fix is a new hub.
    Nexus 7

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
    The owner of this hub is wishing he had serviced it. He brought it to me this morning complaining it wasn't working and his bike shop didn't know how to fix it.
    I said the only fix is a new hub.
    Nexus 7

And you figure the OP's A8 is at risk of looking like that after 2 months of use?

This is the internals of my A8 after 5yrs including months of beach camping in Baja, 2 Canadian winters, Burning Man and other assorted abuse. I think the OP is safe to keep rolling after 2 months.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    And you figure the OP's A8 is at risk of looking like that after 2 months of use?
    No, not likely. The Alfine is sealed much better, but even so, if they are subjected to harsh weather or power washers, more frequent servicing is recommended.
    The bike that came to me today had been stolen, and out of the owner's possession for some time. Of course, he has no idea what it was subjected to in the meantime.

A God Without A Name
    I want to do this maintenance for preventative reasons. I live in a super humid, super rainy place.

But also to fine tune the hub and get it to roll a little smoother. I am still easily within the window of time for that initial maintenance.

Captain Calico Jack
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    I told them I could tell them exactly what goes into it. I can also show them how to do it and what tools they'll need.

I can easily do this work myself.
    Seems like a good case of HTFU and do it yourself.

A God Without A Name
    Did you actually read the thread? Cupcake?

Captain Calico Jack
    nope got the part of could have, should have, would have and thought well why didnt you. hard to cry about something you are so willing to teach others to do.

A God Without A Name
    I see. So you admit to the ignorance with which you speak. Proud to be stupid. Good for you.

I haven't yet because (And this next part may seem a bit foreign to you) There is this woman I live with, I treat her quite kindly and I also get to have sexual relations with her.

ATF has a bit of an odor, and in a 1 bedroom apartment it is unpleasant. Because I am able to attract and keep a member of the opposite sex. I am also considerate of her comfort. Not wishing discomfort on someone you care for is an example of empathy. Not risking losing the security deposit with spilled ATF is an example of good judgement.

I'll do the servicing at some point in the near future, that point was also already stated.

you're not bright.

Captain Calico Jack
    so basically seems like a case of HTFU thanks for clarifying.

Captain Calico Jack
    P.S.sorry you can only afford a 1 bedroom apartment. please include your save an orphan donations link. I want to help you.

A God Without A Name
    You amuse me. feel free to continue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast