mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Any with Bar end shifters?

Will any of the currently available IG hubs work with bar end shifters? I was thinking maybe an Indexed Shimano.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Is there an existing handlebar end shifter intended for a derailleur drivetrain that happens to index perfectly for an IGH? No.

Any three-speed IGH is straightforward to shift with nearly any handlebar end shifter.

The Jtek handlebar end shifters for Shimano 7- and 8-speed and Sturmey 8-speed hubs are at last word still out of production, but with a promise of returning to production in the future.

Sturmey-Archer's S3X comes with a handlebar end shifter. Sturmey has announced upcoming handlebar end shifters for their other three- and five- speed hubs.

HTH,
    JD

mtbr member
    I successfully used a standard shimano bar end shifter(friction) on a winter commuter bike of mine with a Nexus IG red stripe hub. The shifting worked surprisingly well. Every once in a while, it did have a some issues with the internal gearing not staying engaged, but, like most barend shifting setups, it just took a little nudge to correct. If I remember correctly, I was using the left/front shifter, because of the amount of cable being pulled. Just this year I found a replacement grip shift for the hub for cheap, so I picked it up. I miss the minimal nature of the barend, but I feel like the gear engagement has improved slightly. And I was always a little weary(but not positive) that I was doing damage to the inside of the hub.

Good luck,
    Matthew

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    With three-speeds, one can always use an indexed bar end and assign a particular index position to aligned 2nd gear. The other two gears would of course be slack cable and taut cable.

This works with indexed downtube shifters and brifters, too.

JD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_dalhart
    Is there an existing handlebar end shifter intended for a derailleur drivetrain that happens to index perfectly for an IGH? No.

Any three-speed IGH is straightforward to shift with nearly any handlebar end shifter.

The Jtek handlebar end shifters for Shimano 7- and 8-speed and Sturmey 8-speed hubs are at last word still out of production, but with a promise of returning to production in the future.

Sturmey-Archer's S3X comes with a handlebar end shifter. Sturmey has announced upcoming handlebar end shifters for their other three- and five- speed hubs.

HTH,
    JD
    The Jtek barend shifter is supposedly back in production.

http://jtekengineering.com/

Mark

mtbr member
    I emailed jtek a week ago re: bar end shifters for the Alfine.

The reply was that a medical condition is causing them to not be able to make the shifters right now.