Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Any Alfine 11 reviews?

Since the other Alfine 11 thread has turned into a Rohloff vs Alfine debate, I thought I may start a new thread!

Does anybody know of any recent Alfine 11 reviews on teh intrarwebs? A quick google didn't turn up anything new, and I've seen those old carpark tests on pre-production units.

Cheers,
    Alex.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Second

Also keen on more information/reviews. Anyone know who else will be using this hub on their stock bikes?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Me three dammit - where are the early adopters? And who has them in stock?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Boomslang

..on my Fat Bike

Quote Originally Posted by wantriot
    Also keen on more information/reviews. Anyone know who else will be using this hub on their stock bikes?
    I have an Alfine 11 on my Fat Bike.

The recommended input ratio is 1.9. I am running 1.7 because I wanted lower gears, and I might go down to 1.6 if it seems to be handling it OK.

My observations so far are that the engagement is a little spongy, especially in the lower gears. I think that is due to the roller clutch engagement.

It is also a little finicky - you have to get the cable tension just right for the shifting to be spot-on in all gears.

Other than that, it is heavy but shifts great, even when not pedalling. But you all already knew that though.

Jason C

A Man Of The Truth
    JakeWake so how is the 1.7? Do you feel like you're putting too much torque into the hub? I plan on running 1.6 (32x20) out of the box. That gives me the highest low gear I can ride with on technical hilly trails. I'm a pretty light rider so I'm hoping the hub holds up ok. How much do you weigh?

Boomslang
    Quote Originally Posted by fellsbiker
    JakeWake so how is the 1.7? Do you feel like you're putting too much torque into the hub? I plan on running 1.6 (32x20) out of the box. That gives me the highest low gear I can ride with on technical hilly trails. I'm a pretty light rider so I'm hoping the hub holds up ok. How much do you weigh?
    It seems fine so far. I'm not really a masher - I tend to spin, so I don't know if other riders will have the same results.

I am actually going down to 1.6 here shortly.

The only drawback that I see so far is that the engagement feels a little mushy in the lower gears. This is due to the roller clutch engagement, rather than pawls.

JC

@adelorenzo
    This is just one experience, so take it for what it's worth, but....

My friend (wrenches at LBS) just blew up his 11-speed Alfine running 32x20. It lasted less than two months on a Pugsley.

Could chalk it up to him being a big, strong guy on a low gear, BUT.... I am bigger, running longer cranks and lower gearing (32x22) on my Alfine 8 for three winters now and it is 100%. My wife has the same setup and no issues either.

Some aspects of the 11-speed seem to be not as good. The cassette joint, for example.

Anyways, his 11-speed is going back to the supplier but he's trying to get them to replace it with an older 8-speed if they have any left.

mtbr member

Alfine 11

I received my Alfine 11 from Harris Cyclery at the end of 2010 but i finished to assemble it only one week ago. I`m running on 36x18 and it is too heavy. I was thinking to buy an 32t chainring but after reading the posts i´ll try an 34t and try to loose weight before going uphill.

Excuse me for my poor english.

Bruno B. Barcelos
    Greetings from Brazil.

Master of None
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo
    My friend (wrenches at LBS) just blew up his 11-speed Alfine running 32x20. It lasted less than two months on a Pugsley.
    Do you know specifically which part broke? What is the rider weight?

I broke a pawl on my Alfine 8 but I chalked that up to an incident where the cable popped out of the stop and my best guess the subsequent slipping damaged the pawl. I have been riding it (without 2nd and 6th gear) trying to make it die but it keeps going. I'm 200 lbs 32x20.

Master of None
    I'm now on the Alfine 11. It's fantastic. The shifter is the most substantial improvement, for me, and the extra range over the 8 is very nice too. My ratio is 1.45:1.

The shifer can now be operated thumb/thumb, and both up and down shift can be done two at a time. It has a lighter feel than the 8 and a very smooth action. I whacked off the gear indicator, just like I did on the 8. The cassette joint now has the weather seal by default, and the longer arm allows for seatstay routing that is very clean. The hub is definitely smoother than my 8 when new. The gear steps are good, 1st feels a bit like a "bailout" gear with a larger step. Still has the same silent roller clutch with pretty good engagement.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeWake
    It seems fine so far. I'm not really a masher - I tend to spin, so I don't know if other riders will have the same results.

I am actually going down to 1.6 here shortly.

The only drawback that I see so far is that the engagement feels a little mushy in the lower gears. This is due to the roller clutch engagement, rather than pawls.

JC

You guys are confusing me.

1.7:1 is lower than 1.6:1 How are you "going down" to 1.6?

The lowest gear you can run on a Rohloff is around 2.5:1, making the reported Alfine11 gearing seem pretty tall. Am I missing something here?

Master of None
    It's just a ratio, it could be geared up or geared down. In our case, it's geared up, so that means that 1.6 is "down" from 1.7. In other words, for every rotation of the cranks the hub cog turns 1.7 times.

A Man Of The Truth
    Then input ratios (2.5:1, 1.6:1 etc) are only the chain's ratio, before it goes into the hub. The rholoff has completely different gearing inside, and so you can't compare input ratios from different hubs. If you want to compare final drive ratios, you can multiple the input ratio by the gear ratio of each gear in the hub.

Anyway, 1.45:1 is extremely low. If the hub can handle that, 1.6:1 should not be a problem.

A Man Of The Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by presslab
    I'm now on the Alfine 11. It's fantastic. The shifter is the most substantial improvement, for me, and the extra range over the 8 is very nice too. My ratio is 1.45:1.

The shifer can now be operated thumb/thumb, and both up and down shift can be done two at a time. It has a lighter feel than the 8 and a very smooth action. I whacked off the gear indicator, just like I did on the 8. The cassette joint now has the weather seal by default, and the longer arm allows for seatstay routing that is very clean. The hub is definitely smoother than my 8 when new. The gear steps are good, 1st feels a bit like a "bailout" gear with a larger step. Still has the same silent roller clutch with pretty good engagement.
    What actual gear sizes are you using for your chain?

Master of None
    What actual gear sizes are you using for your chain?
    32:22

I would have used 32:20 but my chain was too long and the wheel would not fit in the horizontal dropouts. If I were to shorten the chain by one link my tire would rub the chainstays.

A Man Of The Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by presslab
    32:22

I would have used 32:20 but my chain was too long and the wheel would not fit in the horizontal dropouts. If I were to shorten the chain by one link my tire would rub the chainstays.
    That gear range is a bit too low for my liking. But like I said, that's great that the hub can handle that. 32/20 should be no problem at all for me. I also have a relatively light bike and I'm not too heavy myself. I'm getting more and more excited about this hub.

Master of None
    My bike is 31.4 lbs and I am around 220 lbs with gear. So far, no slipping or any complaint from the hub. I hammered out a good climb the other day standing the whole way, no problems.

In top gear my speed on the tarmac was just fine, a notable improvement over the 8 speed.

A Man Of The Truth
    Good good. I do lots of technical climbing and will be spending much of my time in the "granny gear"

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the review Presslab, sounds great! Looking forward to getting one this summer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    It has been a long process to gather all the parts for my bike, and adapt them to my frame. I stripped the frame of all the old and worn out parts, and replaced nearly everything. The two most difficult steps were designing and fabricating a new brake mount for the rear, and a custom chain tensioner. I am running 30/22 sprockets, or 1.364:1. I needed the low gear to match my previous 22/32 granny gear, so I could get up some of the hills around here.

While testing at home, I noticed the shifting was a little weird, particularly from 7-8th, where the ratio seemed to be inconsistent. Of course gears can only have one ratio, so it must have been the clutch engagement. I am not very familiar with the internal workings of these hubs.

Yesterday my first ride with the Alfine 11 hub was on the Fullerton Loop, which is about 11 miles long and has a wide variety of terrain and conditions. My gear calculations worked out well, so that I had the low gears I needed, and 11th gear was just enough for the fast sections. Even though I have about the same granny gear ratio, steep climbs were a little bit harder with the A11. I think it is because of the taller tires increasing the gear ratio.

During my ride, there were many moments when I would shift and get a "false neutral", meaning there would be little resistance at the pedals until the gear or clutch would engage. Sometimes this effect was very brief, sometimes it was a few revolutions. Other times the hub shifted very quickly and almost imperceptibly. I am unsure of it's ability to shift under load at this time. I don't know if these hubs have a break in period, but I hope the shifting will improve over time. Maybe I just have to learn the proper shifting technique.

I weighed my bike today and I think it gained about 8-10 oz. I didn't notice the extra weight of the hub while riding. My overall impression is very favorable, and I really like the A11, inspite of the quirky shifting . One of the biggest differences I noticed was the silent running, with no chain slap, and much less noise overall.
    Last edited by Storm Rider; 02-28-2011 at 12:26 PM.

A Man Of The Truth
    So for those that have built it up, I have a question. I got my 20T cog today (don't have the hub yet). Are these three subtle nubs all that connects your legs to the wheel? It seems like those little nubs would sheer right off under load. Is that what yours looked like too??

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Does anyone know where I can buy the oil for sg-s700 (alfine 11 spd) ?
    How much for 1L
    Also ... Is there a substitute such as a light machine oil ?

PRETENDURO
    So for those that have built it up, I have a question. I got my 20T cog today (don't have the hub yet). Are these three subtle nubs all that connects your legs to the wheel? It seems like those little nubs would sheer right off under load. Is that what yours looked like too??

Yep, same as the 8-speed Alfine setup. Crazy, isn’t it, to ponder that all your power is being transmitted through those three tiny-assed nubs??? I haven’t sheared them off yet, 2,900 miles, and about 50% of the miles are 4,000+ foot ascension excursions over rough terrain.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Yesterday I rode my A11 for the second time. The shifting was much better, as I learn how to shift this hub. I still had a little trouble down shifting while climbing. It seems this hub really likes to be unloaded when shifting. I also got a small blister or bruise on my index finger from pulling the upshift lever. I expect it will toughen up and not be a problem.

Once upon a time, there were only rigid bikes with cantilever brakes. Suspension forks came along, slowly evolved, and now are nearly universal. Rear suspension followed, and is superior for most situations. Disk brakes arrived, and the MTB world stopped on a dime. All of these new technologies worked way better than the previous status quo, but all were heavier as well. At this time, I am willing to speculate that the IGH will one day dominate the MTB sport like the three previous new standards have. It is so early, and we only just met, but I think I may be falling in love with Alfine Shimano. <3

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast