Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Mr S-KEEPER -
    Shifter is a big improvement on the Afline 8 shifters, and it also works perfectly with an Alfine 8 hub
    Does this mean that the 11 speed shifter makes the 8 speed hub work the right way round - i.e same a standard Shimano deraillier?. This reverse shifting of the std 8 speed is one of the aspects that put me off & I was intending to go for an 11 speed at double the money, but if the 11 speed shifter means an 8 can be made "normal" I will go for one of these instead. Has anyone done any internal mods to an 8 speed to reverse the shifting? Is the cable pull equal between all gears?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yes, even with an 8 speed hub the 11 speed shifter is NOT rapid rise. I've now used it on a dozen trips without issue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sorry s-keeper, but I can't believe this.

The alfine 8 shifts into a harder gear by turning counter-clockwise, which is done by pulling cable.

The thumb button for the 11 shifter still pulls the cable, same as on the 8.

The only way it would reverse, is using the cassette joint of the 11, which wraps the cable around the top. The internal spring return in the hub works the opposite direction.

In other words, the shift direction is dictated by the internal return spring and the cassette joint, not the shifter.

Sorry if this is not clear. Sort of hard to explain.

A Man Of The Truth
    I should have my Alfine 11 installed by next week. I'll have plenty of pictures and an ongoing review as I ride it more and more.

To everyone that has it already, how has the breakin period been? Forget about shifting, I'm more curious about just regular friction from pedaling. Does the hub get smoother the more you use it?

Aussie Bike Bashing
    Fellsbiker, my hub ran perfectly smooth out of the box, so I don't know if it has improved because it still runs perfectly smooth!

I do recall for the first 200km it would feel a bit rough when changing into my low gears (numbers 1-4), but that was only during the gear change, and riding in the low gears itself has always been smooth. The rough feeling has gone now, so maybe it has broken in????

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Sorry Evesie/evrac, my bad. Evrac is right. I'd misinterpreted 'rapid rise' as meaning it would be easier to go up gears. With Alfine 8 & 11 shifter It is easier to drop down to an easier gear. Looks like when I had derailleurs in the past they have been rapid rise without me realising it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thought it was too easy, I had seen that the 11 cable pulled clock-wise & 8 anti-clockwise. To make the 8 into normal shifting some internal surgery on the spring will be required. Does anyone know whether the cable pull is equal in all gears?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I finally got to go out on the trails and give my alifine 11 a true off road test. I have put about 200 miles on it on gravel trails and everything seems good so far. As others have said, the cable tension is finicky. The first couple rides I was getting the occasional click while in 6th gear, but after I cut the housing to final length and re-adjusted everything, no problems. Gears engage and stay put.

I am running 32/20 on 26'' wheels. The trails have some strenuous and technical climbs that really require putting some muscle into the pedals. At first I was nervous to really crank on it, but then I realized that if I am going to break something, better to have it happen sooner than later. No problems at all. No noise or skipping gears, which impressed me so far. Granted, I have few real trail miles on the hub, but initial impressions were positive and I guess we'll see what happens in the future.

A Man Of The Truth
    I just got mine installed last night. I consider it only half installed at this point, since I'm still using my old 9speed chain and I still have two old chainrings in the front, one being an unused big ring, and then a extra large bashgaurd over that. Once my new 'front' parts come in, i'll take a bunch of pictures and post final weight number. At this point, it looks like I'm probably going to come very close to breaking even with the weight.

As far as riding, my first real ride will be tomorrow. But I've done plenty of around the block test riding, and it feels really good. It doesn't really feel 'less efficient' than a traditional setup. So I'm happy about that. The downshifting is a little rougher than I expected, but if feels like that roughness is coming from the shifter itself, not the hub. Like it's springs are super stiff or something. I'll see how it breaks in.

I still haven't decided what I want to do for a chain. Based on some experimenting, 97 links is the ideal size for my bike. I was checking out some BMX halflink chains. Then I saw this nice single halflink that has a cotter pin rather than a regular chain pin. That would be great for chain reliability, but it wouldn't fit through my Alfine 11 chain guides on the hub. At this point I'm still on the fence. I'm going to do a few rides on the 9 speed chain and then make some decisions. I may just end up going with 98 links and using a cheapo SRAM single speed chain and a power link.

A Man Of The Truth
    I took a bunch of pics of my setup, but rather than spam this thread, I started my own:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/internal-gear-hubs/alfine-11-maverick-ml-8-a-707358.html#post8028877

Bottom line: the hub is real sweet, but turning a FS into a single speed can be tricky.

mtbr member

A11 on a Haro 650B

Installed a A11 on Haro 650B, laced to Blunts.
    After riding single speed for 10 year, nice re-intro to shifting. Front 34, rear 18 - now have a gear for the fast flat sections, and couple more for getting up the steeps.
    Big test was on the Copper Harbor trails - UP Michigan, and the Nicolet Roche Trails - Wisconsin. Works fine, in my estimation doesn't shift any worse then chain and der would.
    Tore up the outer chain ring gaurd, few snips w/razor and it was off. Had been wondering how long it would last anyways.
    Gianni out....
    sent via crackberry

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Anyone have actual weight on the "complete" setup? Hub with rear cog and shifter?

Music & Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Buoyen View Post
    Anyone have actual weight on the "complete" setup? Hub with rear cog and shifter?
    Google Traduction
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Hate to say, if you're worried about the weight this isn't for you, just picking up the hub will be turn off for most. Traditional set-up will have the wt savings.,
    Gianni out....
    sent via crackberry

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

24T on Alfine 11

Hi all, first review of my experience with the Alfine 11. After I made a bit of ratio calculations and comparison with a standard 3 chainrings-12/34 combo I found that for the trails I normally ride in my area (swiss alps) the 20T cog was not short enough especially for long very steep hills. So, even if not (apparently) recommended I put a SRAM Sprocket 24T taking the risk that the increased torque will eventually screw up my new IGH (to have an idea I’m a fit mtbiker with years of experience and a cx and marathon racer). Well, the installation was problem free with the exception of the chain that was little rubbing against the cable rubber protector because I choose to turn the sprocket the other way around to have a better chain line, I had to change it with another shorter cable protector to avoid to warn the rubber. After 6 rides 2-3 hours each I must say that the hub is working flawlessly , maybe the first 2 rides I think it needs a bit of brake-in because you feel some internal friction and the gear selection especially putting shorter ones is a bit hesitating . Now after some mileage is far better and I start using it without any hesitation, of course it needs a bit care to avoid to change under power but also this aspect is getting better every new ride. So far I’m fully satisfy, hope this will go on…
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any Alfine 11 reviews?-alfine-11-24t.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Anybody have any issues with oil leaks from Alfine 11 hub? Both hubs I've had had oil leaks. Very low mileage. The leaks seem to happen when the wheel has been sitting for a period and possibly resting on an angle. Shimano replaced first hub no problem. Still waiting to hear about this second hub but no complaints on service thus far. Any similar issues with Rohloff hubs? Is just something that is normal for oil lube IGHs? Doesn't seem to be much info on this topic on the interweb.

A Man Of The Truth
    Actually my second 11 leaked out all it's oil. It wasn't a new hub, just new hub "guts". The shop said shimano didn't have the installation tool yet so he had to wing it. But when the oil leaked out, he did have to tool, so he drained it, refilled it, resealed it, and hopefully i'm good to go now. The bike had been sitting for a while. Standing upright though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I screwed my Alfine 11. The second and fourth would without warning disengage and that is an issue which has lead me to go to boring 1x9. 32x20 is playing with fire especially on a 29er wheeled bike with 2.2 tires. The Alfine is not a bomber hub for steeps, taking the torque needed when cranking a 29er Eskar tire. Be warned.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Alfine 11 Blues

We figured out that the oil is leaking around the seals on the drive side of the alfine 11. What this means though is that this hub (at least the two I've had - and i'm wondering if this is a factory assembly issue) will always be leaking a bit of oil as the wheel turns and is used and it also leaks when the oil is allowed to pool against the seals. This means constant top ups but there is no way to know how much to top up and I've read that too much oil or too little oil can impact shifting. This also means don't transport or store the wheel on an angle or on it's side.

We tried tightening the cones a bit. I haven't run the hub much or checked the oil level to know if this has helped but i think we tightened a bit too much as there seems to be more drag. We figured that leaking oil is just going to be a fact of life. Another thought I had was trying a slightly more viscous oil - anybody try anything like that? I'll be running the hub more shortly hopefully and will post something when i know more.

As for gear ratio I was running 38/22 and didn't have any issues so far but i did find that was a bit harder to pedal - thinking of going down to 36/22 but other folks say that is too high as well.

Seems that so far Alfine 11 is not a 100% reliable product - which is unexpected and disappointing from Shimano. Hopefully they are tightening up the design and assembly line and worrying less about Di2'ing everything first.

Music & Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by cannonballrun View Post

Seems that so far Alfine 11 is not a 100% reliable product - which is unexpected and disappointing from Shimano. Hopefully they are tightening up the design and assembly line and worrying less about Di2'ing everything first.
    I don't have an 11 but I think that the problem is not the hub Per say but what people use it for. It is designed as a "Pavement" product , for hybrids and town riding not MTB.
    Same thing for the 8.

If you buy a Honda Civic and go off riding it , don't expect it to last that long.
    Buy a Jeep instead .....
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cannonballrun View Post
    ...We figured that leaking oil is just going to be a fact of life....
    I don't have the Alfine-11 (yet) but I do have several Rohloffs, and they all "weep" oil. This seems to be normal with oil bath bicycle hubs (except maybe the NuVinci).

Leakage is maximum after an oil change, then over time it diminishes. There is usually enough oiI left in the hub from surface tension to keep the hub running for a year or 2 - at least this is the experience I've had with the Rohloffs. Infact, if you are careful and don't over-fill the hub, it really does not "weep" much afer an oil change. I imagin the Alfine-11 is similar.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable View Post
    I don't have the Alfine-11 (yet) but I do have several Rohloffs, and they all "weep" oil. This seems to be normal with oil bath bicycle hubs (except maybe the NuVinci).
    oh, really? my Alfine is also leaks oil! The oil leaked out from the seal and dropped to the rim and floor. I sent it back to bike shop for repairing.

A Man Of The Truth
    None of my Alfines ever "weeped". They either held their oil fine, OR they leaked all of their oil out in a few days time. No in-between.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

mtbr member

My A11 is going strong in my 29er. Used for MTBing and bikepacking. No problems in its first year...

Running 32T x 23T cog. 175lbs and more of a spinner than a masher.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast