Alfine8 Tire pressures

Printable View

• 12-19-2012
    lukeNZ
    Alfine8 Tire pressures
    I run an alfine8 built into a Mavic 521 on a steel hardtail with pikes. I'm 170lbs and usually run the rear tire (weirwolf 2.1) at 35psi but wondering if I could get away with less or do I need to go to a bigger volume tire.

Mostly just rooty or smooth trails, no rocks in sight
  • 12-19-2012
    Andy R
    For me, 35 psi would be a really high pressure - I usually use about 22-25 in the rear tyre and 20-22 in the front. I weigh around 155 lbs and this is 2.35" tyres, run tubeless, on both my Alfine bike and my singlespeed. Schwalbe NN's on Sun Ringle EQ27 rims on both bikes, the Alfine bike is a HT and the SS is rigid.

I suppose that if it's very smooth going then higher pressures might be a bit less draggy but once you get any sort of rough or uneven surface then lower pressures are actually more efficient and often make a big difference to finding traction on rocky or rooty climbs.

Basically I run as low pressures as I think that I can get away with without risking rim damage or rolling the tyre off when cornering - I'm an ex m/c trials rider though and we like low pressures and that squirmy feeling.....;)
  • 12-19-2012
    drofluf
    I've got an Alfine wheel that I put into my singlespeed hard tail from time to time. Same rim and tyre in both wheels. I run my tyres at the same pressure whether I'm using the Alfine or not. I'll change the pressure according to conditions.

Why do you think you need to change pressure with the Alfine?
  • 12-19-2012
    lukeNZ
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drofluf View Post
    I've got an Alfine wheel that I put into my singlespeed hard tail from time to time. Same rim and tyre in both wheels. I run my tyres at the same pressure whether I'm using the Alfine or not. I'll change the pressure according to conditions.

Why do you think you need to change pressure with the Alfine?

when singlespeed you don't have a big lump of steel between the rear droppout and I found it tended to 'skip' over the roots whereas the alfine whacks into everything hence the thinking that running lower pressure in the alfine wheel will avoid some of the difference

I should have said that I have tubes in too
  • 12-20-2012
    Corporal Punishment
    With tubes you won't have much of a choice. At least I didn't. Anything less than 35psi and I was guaranteed a pinch flat. Going tubeless was the best thing I ever did.

Also, I doubt the extra 3 lbs in the back make that much of a difference when choosing tire pressure. Its more about your body weight and riding style. Go with what works for you, but I highly recommend going tubeless. You can go ghetto tubeless for less than $20. Stans stems and those little 2 ounce sealant shots make adding sealant a snap too.