mtbr member
    Oct 2009

alfine vs nexus vs i-motion9 vs other options?

hi,
    i have a pugsley with an alfine in it (came like that when purchased) and it seems to be getting noisier and noisier and is begining to show signs of age and wear.

so... i may spoil myself and replace it soon, so my question is what to replace it with without spending over 500 on something like a rohloff!!!

i read somewhere here that the internals of the new nexus and new alfine are the same, can this be confirmed? also if so why buy alfine? how does the i-motion compare? and what other options do i have.... other than rohloff what is the next best thing? is there a step up from alfine (any brand), but below the mamoth cost of rohloff?

please suggestions are most welcome, and info on the NEW alfine VS nexus internals!

Frt Range, CO
    IMHO, for off-road the Alfine is the only low cost option. For commuting on streets and gravel roads, the im9 can be good:
    SRAM i-Motion 9 users thread

Here's the info on the Nexus/Alfine differences:
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    thank you pursuiter!

mtbr member
    that's good info to know.
    Age: you maybe careful about what hub you buy if you plan to run discs. i believe that is a main diff between the nexus and alfine. i have read somewhere else that surly recommends against the rohloff for the pugs due to wack spoke tensions with the offset rims.

now, according to the pdf, there are standard and premium versions of the alfine? i wonder where does sg501 fall? is it premium or standard?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by aljee
    now, according to the pdf, there are standard and premium versions of the alfine? i wonder where does sg501 fall? is it premium or standard?
    No, there are standard and premium versions of the nexus.
    Alfine >= premium.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    great! so my next question is sg501 vs new premium nexus?

Frt Range, CO
    >sg501 vs new premium nexus?

501 and 8R36 have the same guts, the Alfine is sealed a little better on the non-drive side