Riding a Rig.

Alfine trigger shifter vs twist shifter.... (thoughts?)

Okay guys. This is basically the final decision I need to make and I'm stuck. I've always used and loved trigger shifters but the general trend for IGH seems to be that people prefer twist shifters.

Any thoughts on that?
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have the Alfine trigger and I think it works great. I do not hear such wonderful things about the twist shifters.

By the way I have this set up on a tandem with full cable housing to the rear. I have no problem with shifts.

Riding a Rig.
    Thanks.

That kinda goes along with what I had found looking around.... Apparently the nexus twist shifter is kinda chintzy.

Add to that the fact that I have been using trigger shifters forever (even my walmart 'mountainbike' had triggers...) and I think thats probably the right choice for me.
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

mtbr member
    The alfine trigger shifter works well. The twist shifter is from the nexus line, and broke easily when rotating it past the end stop.

Another Retro Grouch
    I've been riding my off-road MTB with the Nexus twist shifter for about 6 months, hasn't broke yet. I did bring a spare with me to Jamaica, only 'cause you guys got me scared.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    I've been riding my off-road MTB with the Nexus twist shifter for about 6 months, hasn't broke yet. I did bring a spare with me to Jamaica, only 'cause you guys got me scared.
    Yea, mine lasted almost a year, but then I twisted it a little too hard once. I know better now, and if you are careful, I'm sure they'll last. The twisters are not expensive.
    Last edited by itsdoable; 02-09-2009 at 10:45 AM.

mtbr member
    I went with the trigger shifter as well. It is certainly not an XTR level component, but it works fine. I am working on setting up a commuter bike with a Nexus 7 speed IGH and got a twist shifter for that to try it out.

mtbr member
    I've got both and they both work fine. I thought I'd like the twist shift better than the trigger shift, but after some use it's a wash.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I believe the trigger shifter works in reverse to a usual derailleur trigger? Any way of avoiding/'fixing' this?
    Is there a maximum size disc rotor? I see they are centre lock, but can I fit any size rotor [ maybe 180], and can any brake caliper be used [ probably XT]?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sean newell
    I believe the trigger shifter works in reverse to a usual derailleur trigger? Any way of avoiding/'fixing' this?
    Is there a maximum size disc rotor? I see they are centre lock, but can I fit any size rotor [ maybe 180], and can any brake caliper be used [ probably XT]?
    Both trigger and twister work in reverse, or low normal. No way around that, the mechanism is in the hub.

As far as I know, any centerlock rotor can be used.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have a twister and like it. I got it for a nexus 8 red band when the Alfine's were not available. I like being able to shift a lot of gears with one motion. I understand the trigger shifter does not do that. I got used to the twister fairly quickly. I came from Shimano index MTB shifters. The twister really is cheaply made though. I'm getting another one to have on hand when it goes out. I suppose I should spring for a trigger shifter to see if I like it.