mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Alfine-specific dropouts?

Hi,

Curious if anybody (say, paragon machine works) makes a sliding dropout that would negate the need for the Alfine no-turn washers (by holding the axle on the flats)?

Thanks,

Tom
    (18" jabberwocky w/ 8spd Alfine that likes to "walk" in the dropouts)

NONDURO
    Nope. Unless you have some custom-made (non standard of course) dropouts such that the opening is the same thickness as the slotted parts of the Alfine axle.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks, LP. I saw PMW made Rohloff specific dropouts and thought they might use a similar slotted axle to the Alfine, but apparently not so.

Curious how the Alfine works with a vertical dropout (and appropriate no turn washers)? Running a tensioner doesn't bother me...

I have a hard time keeping my alfine wheel in place in the Jabber's horizontal drops. I've removed the paint from the dropouts. Both of the jabber's adjusters bent ... one is broken off in the frame now. They don't seem that important - they certainly didn't work to keep the wheel in place - they just seem to help with initial setup.

So I'm contemplating a different style frame to go with the Alfine.

Thanks, Tom