@adelorenzo

Alfine Pugsleys -- 6-month update

OK, well I had a lot of questions about Alfine durability in extreme winter conditions, so after about six months I'm ready to offer some observations.

During this period, I have about 650 km of trail riding. On top of that, probably close to 1000 km of commuting and getting around town. My wife has done a few rides on hers but mostly about 4 months of commuting duty. Temperatures as low as -35 C, always lots of snow, some road sand/grit, overflow, and even a couple days of wet, sloppy roads. I'm a big dude, pushing a low 33x22 gear ratio with long 190 mm cranks. So this should be testing the hub to its limit.

So far, the hubs have been rock solid. Running as well as they day we bought them. The wife had some shifting issues below -30 C, but I think this might have been the cable freezing rather than the hub, and they seem to have gone away. The hubs have never failed to engage, although the already-slow engagement does seem to get a little slower at prolonged cold temps.

We still have about a month of snow riding left, but after the season is over I'll strip the bike down and see how the hub feels. For right now, I'm just hitting the trails!

Dr Gadget is IN
    Good bit of info - you should crosspost it to Fat Bikes
    Fatbikes are much more fun than they should be allowed to be!

WSS/OSS: open source sealant

Old, stale, negative
    Great to hear. I'm at the 6 month area with not as many miles but am also very impressed. This could very well be the future of off road riding.

mtbr member
    When that permafrost melts let us know how it does in the mud and slop. It only snows 3 months of the year here in the PNW, but it rains about 13 months a year.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
    ~~~KNOLLY KNATION RACING~~~