mtbr member
    May 2006

Alfine Hub - Engaging Issue

Hi All
    I have a Alfine hub on my Karate Monkey commuter, I have put about 3000km onto the bike since February and I have started to a few small issues.

Most significantly, when I stop for a red light or to avoid getting knocked over by one of our motorised 'buddies'- sometimes when I start pedalling there is about a quarter revolution of the pedals where it feels like the hub hasn't engaged properly.

The resistance then returns, not instantly but feels like it gradually comes back to where it should be.

The other issues is that sometimes it feels as if the pedalling resistance increases significantly for a few pedal strokes and then disappears.

Has ayone encountered any of these issues? I am thinking it may be time for a rebuild of the hub.

Thanks
    Muddy

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyHog
    Hi All
    I have a Alfine hub on my Karate Monkey commuter, I have put about 3000km onto the bike since February and I have started to a few small issues.

Most significantly, when I stop for a red light or to avoid getting knocked over by one of our motorised 'buddies'- sometimes when I start pedalling there is about a quarter revolution of the pedals where it feels like the hub hasn't engaged properly.

The resistance then returns, not instantly but feels like it gradually comes back to where it should be.

The other issues is that sometimes it feels as if the pedalling resistance increases significantly for a few pedal strokes and then disappears.

Has ayone encountered any of these issues? I am thinking it may be time for a rebuild of the hub.

Thanks
    Muddy
    Doesn't sound too good, but there are a few things to check first.

On my bikes...

The cassette joint (shifter mech thingy) had worked itself slightly loose. Check and adjust.

My twist shifter had just finally lost its index capability. Not in an obvious way, but the alfine hub was shifting terrible and I assumed it was the hub, soI cleaned and lubed it, but it was still unpredictable. I ordered new trigger shifters, installed them, and it shifts like butter. No funny business anymore.

On one of my Nexus hubs, the clean and lube did the job. Upon opening it, the insides were disgusting. A Mobile 1 oil bath and things were back to normal.

And the obvious, make sure the lines are lined up. Cable tension.
    baker

Another Retro Grouch
    There's an 8 speed trouble-shooting guide under the Internal Gear Hub section of this Shimano website:
    http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...tech_tips.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    when i rode one of these hubs (briefly) this was common. with all those planetary gears in there, these is bound to be a little play or backlash. the ramping up of resistance is, i think, due to the easier gears engaging their pawls before the harder gears. this is something i liked about the hub as it allowed one to leave a standstill in a harder gear than normal. i wouldn't worry too much, but you could take it in and have it cleaned at your LBS.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the all the responses and the helpfull info

I will check everything as suggested by baker, and if there is no improvement it will be time for some open-hub-surgery.

Thanks again, most appreciated.

Muddy