Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Alfine Engagement

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  baker 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of running an Alfine on my 29er. Right now I'm running SS 32x19. I have the stock Bontrager wheels now and will get some new ones built around the Alfine.

I do a lot of technical riding, and I do a lot of "ratcheting" to keep from hitting my pedals on rocks and such. It also comes in handy when I can't quite keep cranking on a steep climb!

I'm a bit worried about how quick the Alfine engagement is. If it's going to cause me problems with ratcheting I'd better skip it. I'm also considering a two-speed setup using a Hammerschmidt.

Thanks for any input :)

#2 ·
The engagement is pretty instantaneous, however the hub makes a lot of clicking noises if you pedal backwards. Some gears do it more than others. I don't think it likes back pedaling and I'm conscious of this when dropping a pedal on the outside when cornering. I normally back pedal when doing this, I've stopped (I think) because of the sounds. I just built it up, it's way too soon to have it blow up!

Drew

#4 ·
dru said:
The engagement is pretty instantaneous, however the hub makes a lot of clicking noises if you pedal backwards. Some gears do it more than others. I don't think it likes back pedaling and I'm conscious of this when dropping a pedal on the outside when cornering. I normally back pedal when doing this, I've stopped (I think) because of the sounds. I just built it up, it's way too soon to have it blow up!

Drew
I haven't really thought about engagement. Just went out and checked it out. Engagement seems pretty quick. Not sure how quick though...How's that for a completely useless answer?

BTW, I'm a habitual back pedaller and I have not noticed any negative affects yet...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.