Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alfine Di2

Music & Bikes

Alfine Di2

Shimano Alfine Di2 ? First Pictures - BikeRadar

Shifting mechanism covered , non-exposed to elements and that doesn't rely on spring tension like derailers systems do : the solution to all the problems I have with my Shimano IGH

(well maybe it's gonna have other problems but these are a major PITA for me )
    Last edited by fokof; 02-29-2012 at 10:14 PM.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    I must upgrade my alfine 11 with this

Music & Bikes
    Not clear yet if we will be able to buy just the electronic kit and retro-fit it to existing Alfine.
    That would be great
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    One of the write-ups said the hub was a 'special Di2 model'. I don't know if that means you won't be able to retrofit or if it just means the hub has a 'Di2' sticker on it.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Anyone read any updates on the above? If it will be "retrofittable" or a specific Di2 version?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    My guess is that it will just replace the cassette joint, so hopefully retrofittable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Shimano SW-S705 Alfine Di2 right hand shift switch for flat bars, 11- / 8-speed - www.fatbirds.co.uk

More images have surfaced. The shifter appears to be 8 / 11 speed compatible.

Nice under-bar gear indicator:

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jasevr4 View Post
    Anyone read any updates on the above? If it will be "retrofittable" or a specific Di2 version?
    I'm afraid that you have to buy new hub, 11-speed Di2 hub type is SG-S705, 8-speed is SG-S505.

Alfine_Di2_electronic_specification_2012.pdf

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Looking at prices on ebikestop, looks like a full Alfine 8 setup would be shy of $600 once in stock. Would love to try one.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Just Ride!
    It seems that Di2 is almost here! Bikeman has the QBP item listings for the hub, motor, and shifter.

Just Ride!
    Anyone know of a date for the official release for Di2, hub, motor, shifter, etc.? It seems odd that Shimano does not even mention Alfine Di2 on their website.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Where's the battery in the final production model?

Just Ride!
    So I checked in with QBP on an inventory date and they thought that all of the parts, possibly 10 pieces in total, would be available by the end of October. Here is my speculation of the parts needed.

Hub ($625), motor ($140), small parts kit ($20), wire kit ($120), junction box ($40), indicator ($130), shifter ($140), battery holder ($139), battery ($95), and charger ($90), possible total ($1,540.00)?

Based on the currently available Di2 derailleur systems and prices listed on some sites, that should possibly be the 10 pieces required, less the rear sprocket.

Just Ride!
    I also inquired with Gates about the CenterTrack cogs since the clearance looked very narrow. Here is their reply:

"We are working on a special set of sprockets for this hub. The current Carbon Drive sprockets do not have clearance. We will try to have parts by the time the hub is available."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alfine Di2-hero22.jpg  

Just Ride!
    All of the Alfine Di2 components seem to be in stock now at QBP, so who is going to be first to test the metal?

mtbr member
    Any updates to this?
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Update

Check out Cyclepath in Portland, OR - they recently posted info about a DI2 Alfine Gates build on their web site and facebook page. See: http://cyclepathnw.com/2013/01/recen...-ventana-29er/
    Last edited by doperide; 01-24-2013 at 05:12 PM.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    So I checked in with QBP on an inventory date and they thought that all of the parts, possibly 10 pieces in total, would be available by the end of October. Here is my speculation of the parts needed.

Hub ($625), motor ($140), small parts kit ($20), wire kit ($120), junction box ($40), indicator ($130), shifter ($140), battery holder ($139), battery ($95), and charger ($90), possible total ($1,540.00)?

Based on the currently available Di2 derailleur systems and prices listed on some sites, that should possibly be the 10 pieces required, less the rear sprocket.

Is this listing of required parts accurate?
    Seriously, "battery holder" is $139, wtf is that?
    I was lightly considering trying this conversion on a singlespeeder I have, but that was before I did much research and thought it only required the hub (not seperate motor too...), shifter, indicator/battery... well, looks like I'm out.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Cassoulet forever !
    Alfine Di2-trek29er.jpg

Here is a build from a Shimano employe in France
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR View Post
    ]

Here is a build from a Shimano employe in France
    I am wondering if they have a specific wire loom available yet for a routing similar to the layout pictured?

blet drive
    i wonder if the weight is the same as the non di2. and is this drop bar compatible?
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEKID5 View Post
    and is this drop bar compatible?
    Very compatible
    Bike24 - Shimano Alfine Di2 ST-S705-R STI 8/11-speed - black
    Bike24 - Shimano Alfine Di2 BL-S705-L Brake Lever - black

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I've yet to see any hard evidence that the actual hub is different. On the Shimano Oz trade website, the Di2 bits are all there to see, but the only choices in hubs are 8 or 11 speed, black or silver and the number of spoke holes. There is NO separate listing for an "Alfine 11 Di2 hub,"although maybe all the parts aren't listed yet; there's no mention of wiring for instance.

What's listed as Di2 is:
    MU-S705 ALFINE Di2 MOTOR UNIT, 11-SPEED
    SW-S705 ALFINE Di2 SHIFTER, SHIFT SWITCH 11-SPEED RIGHT
    SC-S705 ALFINE Di2 LED DISPLAY GEAR POSTION / BATTERY CHARGE
    ST-S705 ALFINE Di2 SHIFT/BRAKE 11-SPEED ST-705R / BL-S705L BLACK for DROP BAR

...plus a few new non-turn washers, but since the older ones are no longer listed I suspect these are just a cosmetic update.

The price for any one of the bits isn't too scary, but when you add them up it gets rather worse, to the point that a Rohloff can be had for less - if $1540 is anywhere near being true at least. (Of course if you want a decent drop bar shifter, then Rohloff is probably out of contention, and the mechanical drop bar shifters for the Alfines will come in way cheaper than Di2.)

Given the problems some have reported here with the Alfine 11, versus the stellar reliability record for the Rohloff (and the extra 3 gears and wider range), I'm not sure Di2 is such a great thing.

I also noticed that the Bike24 website (mentioned in a post above) states: "In order to ensure proper functioning of the electronic Di2 drive system, all components require the same firmware version. The optional diagnostic device allows for reading out or updating the firmware version. An operation of components with different firmware versions may cause a malfunction or loss of function."

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^ It's extremely unlikely that the hub shell could possibly hit the stays, assuming that's what you mean. The likely problems will be tensioning the chain - unless you have horizontal dropouts - and spreading the tips enough to get the hub in there. The potential chainlines are close enough to road that a little tweaking with spacers should fix things, but the real question is whether there will be room for the "cassette joint."

BTW, since I wrote the post above I've sen discussion suggesting that the Di2 hub has no return spring for the selector mechanism, with this being driven by the motor in both directions. Bottom line: old hubs are unlikely to be retrofittable, at least not without some internal mods at best.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    has anyone managed to upgrade a standard alfine 11spd to di2?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast