Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Alfine Di2

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Any word on whether other DI2 shifters are compatible (eg the little 'sprinter' buttons or bar-end shifters)? I rather fancy teaming this up with SRAM drop bar hydro discs (with the shifter mechanisms removed).

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Now that's an expensive and complicated way to do things! It seems likely that satellite shifters are supported, there is some info in the Dealer Manual to be found here: SHIMANO Dealer's Manual / User's Manual The drop bar STI lever has a second port: "The remaining terminal can be used for an additional satellite switch or the SM-PCE1." If you are planning on using an accessory/alternate switch instead of one of the standard ones, I'd be contacting Shimano and asking 1) if this is easily possible, and 2) if so, what components and junction boxes are required. I expect it can be done, and the guys at Fairwheel Bikes (Fairwheel Bikes, Cycling Boutique) may have tried it; they seem to be up for that sort of thing.

I trust you are aware of the ST-R785 road disc Di2 levers. These might (perhaps) work with the Alfine hubs, and could maybe work out cheaper than gutting a set of the SRAM hydro levers plus buying extra switches, etc. Good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have not seen the ST-R785 levers, shows how out of touch I am Certainly looks like a simpler option. Obviously the left shifter will be redundant, but it could potentially be removed from the lever (or spliced into the system to allow left or right shifting).

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    BTW, in a discussion elsewhere, the point was made that Shimano and SRAM brake parts couldn't be mixed because Shimano uses mineral oil, while SRAM uses DOT fluid. I know zilch about this, but those who do seemed to think things would fail sooner rather than later if the wrong brake fluid was used.

Music & Bikes
    Saw these on the Kocmo facebook page , nice !
    https://www.facebook.com/KOCMO.Titan.../photos_stream

Alfine Di2-capture-d-cran-2013-09-17-09.31.53.jpgAlfine Di2-capture-d-cran-2013-09-17-09.31.18.jpg
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    I am in the process of building my ultimate commuter, the list of features is as follows:

Custom Ti frame with EBB and seat-stay split
    Carbon Forks
    Carbon integrated 1-piece stem/bars
    Deep carbon rims
    Hydraulic disc brakes
    Di2 Hub gears
    32mm tyres
    Full mud-guards
    Dynamo hub
    Belt drive

I've already ordered the post, bars and forks, and the frame is under manufacture in China.

I've spoken to Shimano and they have assured me that the 11-speed R785 Di2 hydraulic shifters will work with the Alfine hub, so I should be fine for shifting and braking.

What I am slightly concerned about is the belt drive, as apparently because of the size of the Di2 motor unit mounted onto the hub, the belt drive means the chainline has to be be shifted inboard by a few mm. This is according to Gates. They also only provide a 28 tooth rear sprocket which means to get roughly the same top gear as my road bike I need a 55t up front. This will have a similarly far inboard chainline, and due to the size really eats into my chainstay clearance. Looking at the frame drawing, to give 2mm of clearance at the closest point on the front ring, my 22mm diameter chainstay is squashed to only being 7.5mm wide horizontally. Not exactly ideal from a rigidity point of view.

Looking at the fantastic looking Kocmo Titan-bikes photos above (which is almost identical to what I'm building apart from the hydraulic brakes) they have a much smaller rear sprocket than 28t, so clearly it is possible. I have emailed them to see if they can pass on any information, but as I'm not buying anything from them, they won't really have any motivation to help!

Has anyone on here done any experimentation and learned anything useful which would be or any assistance?

Cheers, Rich

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2