Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Alfine Di2

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Any word on whether other DI2 shifters are compatible (eg the little 'sprinter' buttons or bar-end shifters)? I rather fancy teaming this up with SRAM drop bar hydro discs (with the shifter mechanisms removed).

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Now that's an expensive and complicated way to do things! It seems likely that satellite shifters are supported, there is some info in the Dealer Manual to be found here: SHIMANO Dealer's Manual / User's Manual The drop bar STI lever has a second port: "The remaining terminal can be used for an additional satellite switch or the SM-PCE1." If you are planning on using an accessory/alternate switch instead of one of the standard ones, I'd be contacting Shimano and asking 1) if this is easily possible, and 2) if so, what components and junction boxes are required. I expect it can be done, and the guys at Fairwheel Bikes (Fairwheel Bikes, Cycling Boutique) may have tried it; they seem to be up for that sort of thing.

I trust you are aware of the ST-R785 road disc Di2 levers. These might (perhaps) work with the Alfine hubs, and could maybe work out cheaper than gutting a set of the SRAM hydro levers plus buying extra switches, etc. Good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have not seen the ST-R785 levers, shows how out of touch I am Certainly looks like a simpler option. Obviously the left shifter will be redundant, but it could potentially be removed from the lever (or spliced into the system to allow left or right shifting).

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    BTW, in a discussion elsewhere, the point was made that Shimano and SRAM brake parts couldn't be mixed because Shimano uses mineral oil, while SRAM uses DOT fluid. I know zilch about this, but those who do seemed to think things would fail sooner rather than later if the wrong brake fluid was used.

Music & Bikes
    Saw these on the Kocmo facebook page , nice !
    https://www.facebook.com/KOCMO.Titan.../photos_stream

Alfine Di2-capture-d-cran-2013-09-17-09.31.53.jpgAlfine Di2-capture-d-cran-2013-09-17-09.31.18.jpg
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    I am in the process of building my ultimate commuter, the list of features is as follows:

Custom Ti frame with EBB and seat-stay split
    Carbon Forks
    Carbon integrated 1-piece stem/bars
    Deep carbon rims
    Hydraulic disc brakes
    Di2 Hub gears
    32mm tyres
    Full mud-guards
    Dynamo hub
    Belt drive

I've already ordered the post, bars and forks, and the frame is under manufacture in China.

I've spoken to Shimano and they have assured me that the 11-speed R785 Di2 hydraulic shifters will work with the Alfine hub, so I should be fine for shifting and braking.

What I am slightly concerned about is the belt drive, as apparently because of the size of the Di2 motor unit mounted onto the hub, the belt drive means the chainline has to be be shifted inboard by a few mm. This is according to Gates. They also only provide a 28 tooth rear sprocket which means to get roughly the same top gear as my road bike I need a 55t up front. This will have a similarly far inboard chainline, and due to the size really eats into my chainstay clearance. Looking at the frame drawing, to give 2mm of clearance at the closest point on the front ring, my 22mm diameter chainstay is squashed to only being 7.5mm wide horizontally. Not exactly ideal from a rigidity point of view.

Looking at the fantastic looking Kocmo Titan-bikes photos above (which is almost identical to what I'm building apart from the hydraulic brakes) they have a much smaller rear sprocket than 28t, so clearly it is possible. I have emailed them to see if they can pass on any information, but as I'm not buying anything from them, they won't really have any motivation to help!

Has anyone on here done any experimentation and learned anything useful which would be or any assistance?

Cheers, Rich

Poodle Lover
    Aug 2010
    So clean!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Alfine system, setup

[QUOTE=turboferret;11326972]I am in the process of building my ultimate commuter, the list of features is as follows:

Custom Ti frame with EBB and seat-stay split
    Carbon Forks
    Carbon integrated 1-piece stem/bars
    Deep carbon rims
    Hydraulic disc brakes
    Di2 Hub gears
    32mm tyres
    Full mud-guards
    Dynamo hub
    Belt drive

I've already ordered the post, bars and forks, and the frame is under manufacture in China.

I've spoken to Shimano and they have assured me that the 11-speed R785 Di2 hydraulic shifters will work with the Alfine hub, so I should be fine for shifting and braking.

Hello, i was wondering- I am looking to build a city computer bike, and considering a Alfine SG-s705 (11 speed hub Di2 ) and ST-R785 Cross shifters setup. You mentioned Shimano assured your levers would work with the Alfine Hub, But if you could please post what model hub you used and if you had any problems or if it worked with no issues. Currently living overseas and if i order it would be so disappointing to learn the hard way it didn't work, The Shifter set is Hydro Di2 and Hub would be 11 speed, but concern is shifting compatibility and both are E-tube

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by combat01 View Post

Hello, i was wondering- I am looking to build a city computer bike, and considering a Alfine SG-s705 (11 speed hub Di2 ) and ST-R785 Cross shifters setup. You mentioned Shimano assured your levers would work with the Alfine Hub, But if you could please post what model hub you used and if you had any problems or if it worked with no issues. Currently living overseas and if i order it would be so disappointing to learn the hard way it didn't work, The Shifter set is Hydro Di2 and Hub would be 11 speed, but concern is shifting compatibility and both are E-tube
    Those shifters and hub are exactly what I have and they work perfectly together. I may have had to update the firmware when first installing, but I don't recall exactly. I certainly plugged into the diagnostics box and everything was detected as it should. The only change I've made from the initial install was to mount the display unit on the bars where it is designed to go. Originally I had it hidden inside the seat tube for a cleaner and more discrete look, but after being caught out with a flat battery and it being a bit of a PITA to charge, I relocated it.

Hope that helps and good luck with your build!

Cheers, Rich

mtbr member
    These look amazing. One big problem: Almost all new frames are being built with 12x142mm rear axles. I see Rohloff has an option, but Di2 is very compelling for me. Could some spacers and washers do the trick?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    These look amazing. One big problem: Almost all new frames are being built with 12x142mm rear axles. I see Rohloff has an option, but Di2 is very compelling for me. Could some spacers and washers do the trick?
    The axle on the unit is 187mm long. That leaves roughly 32mm of (16 on each side) protruding past the locknuts. Accounting for centering the unit in a wider space, that leaves 12.5mm protruding past the locknuts; dropouts themselves may be as much as 7-8mm when made from aluminum. This simply can't support enough threads past the face of the dropout to accommodate an axle nut. Assuming everything went perfectly, you still wouldn't have any way of keeping the axle from rotating in the dropouts, as the anti-turn washers rely on a dropout slot (which through axles do not have).

It just won't work on so many fronts. I would encourage you to find a bicycle capable of taking a 135mm dropout, preferably with some native method of chain tensioning (sliders, slotted, eccentric, etc), if you wanted to use an Alfine Di2.

mtbr member
    Exactly the problem. Trust me, I'm no fan of 142mm through-axles, but they're here to stay on MTBs, cross bikes, and gravel bikes, and coming to road bikes too. Shimano needs to produce an Alfine that's compatible. I'll be ordering a Rohloff soon.

Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    The axle on the unit is 187mm long. That leaves roughly 32mm of (16 on each side) protruding past the locknuts. Accounting for centering the unit in a wider space, that leaves 12.5mm protruding past the locknuts; dropouts themselves may be as much as 7-8mm when made from aluminum. This simply can't support enough threads past the face of the dropout to accommodate an axle nut. Assuming everything went perfectly, you still wouldn't have any way of keeping the axle from rotating in the dropouts, as the anti-turn washers rely on a dropout slot (which through axles do not have).

It just won't work on so many fronts. I would encourage you to find a bicycle capable of taking a 135mm dropout, preferably with some native method of chain tensioning (sliders, slotted, eccentric, etc), if you wanted to use an Alfine Di2.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    This may just be me speaking, but I generally find that a 3/8" axle with nuts is more than strong enough to compare with a 142x12 axle--if not in the lab, in the real world. Nobody I know is doing gap-to-flats on IGHs, even on bikes that they could fit on.

Shimano could definitely make an IGH/gearbox that would work, but at least as of right now, the answer is a firm "no", as they classify the Alfine as a 'comfort' level component, despite how people have been using it. The few people that I have spoken to at Shimano have cited 'lack of [product] interest' as a reason for not developing lighter/better/stronger IGHs. I can't say I blame them, either...I wouldn't want to stick my neck out for a market as a fickle as the 'sport' sector of cycling.

One of the biggest complaints is the gearing range, or rather, how it is skewed; pretty much everybody I talk to would like it to go lower, not higher, as the 11 speed model did. To do so would require a huge redesign, I'm sure, including a torque arm, a'la Rohloff. It may never come, either; when Shimano introduced their mid-drive Bosch motor unit, one of the touted points was integration with Di2, specifically the Alfine hubs. A fun bike to ride for sure (seriously, if you ever get a chance, do try one, they fly), but one that doesn't have any issues with running out of steam uphill.

For a 'serious' bike, I see no reason not to spend for a Rohloff/Pinion, other than frame/component considerations. One thing Shimano definitely does well is integrating components...seeing as how the Alfine Di2 hub works with 2 drop bar shifters (hydraulic/mechanical brakes) and flat bar controls, you can [potentially] have a very clean cockpit. The market for Rohloff is small, and so your options for shifting are small as well, though getting better. The official shifter is a sticking point with me, in particular, which is why I went with the Shimano hub.

By the way, what kind of frame were you thinking of building up? Many single speed frames have no issues running 135x10 axles, and they make ideal conversions to IGH bikes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2