Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004

alfine-centerlock issue

i've got an alfine 8 spd with a 6 bolt adapter disc rotor...it won't stay true and rubs, so I tried to swap over to a centerlock rotor...trouble is my Park FR-5 spline tool won't fit, not enough engagement depth. what to do? have the tool bored out to fit down over the axle/race/nuts and engage the spline? or order an external spline version of the lockring from a Saint hub with a new tool? thanks in advance.

btw, the alfine rocks so far (2 months). no problems despite clydesdale mashing.
    the time is right for violent revolution

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Personally I would either get the correct tool or borrow one, last thing you want to mess the thread /engagement system up.. after all, how many times are you going to take it off.

I am running Hope 203mm rotors and have zero problem from fitment.. which makes me wonder if your disc is slightly out of true?

May 2004
    the rotor goes on fine and i can run the lockring on by hand...just can't tighten it because the tool won't engage.

Another Retro Grouch
    My centerlock tool had a pilot pin to slip into a QR axle. I removed the pin and now the tool removes centerlocks on my Alfine hubs. I grabbed it with a pair of piliers and rocked it back and forth.

May 2004
    hmm, mine has no pin, but still won't fit down around the axle...maybe i've got a factory second park tool or something. i'll try another one. thx

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecop
    ...i'll try another one. thx
    mine' a cheapy from Performance Bike, the pin breaks off easy :
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...7_20000_400139

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! The Proper Tool

hmm, mine has no pin, but still won't fit down around the axle...maybe i've got a factory second park tool or something. i'll try another one. thx

...Here ya go, you just need to get a Shimano TL-HG10 Tool. I tried all of the Park and many Shimano Lockring Tools before finding one that works for Alfine Hubs. It has a Larger 1/2" Drive Open End which allows the Alfine Axle to pop through, thus allowing the Lockring to be tightened all the way down using an Adjustable Wrench or such with the Tool.
    You need this to Safely lock down your Disc Rotor, If you own an Alfine and use a Disc, you should own one, they are not expensive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails alfine-centerlock issue-hg10a-copy.jpg  

alfine-centerlock issue-hg10b.jpg  

Last edited by UN-COG-KNEE-TOE; 06-03-2010 at 03:09 PM.

May 2004
    thanks, my LBS ordered me a TL-HG10 from somebody, but also said Shimano doesn't make it anymore, which seems odd.

mtbr member

Hg-10

thanks, my LBS ordered me a TL-HG10 from somebody, but also said Shimano doesn't make it anymore, which seems odd.

...if your Local shop doesn't find you one, PM me, and i may know where to grab another!

May 2004
    got the tool, but it turns out it was a TL-FG10, i think. i'll check when i get home. But it works, engages the spline, fits over the cone/lock nuts,,,so everything is golden. i now have a centerlock rotor w/no wobble>>>good braking. also swapped a 20 tooth cog for a 19 to bump up the ratio a bit. looking forward to a long ride.

thanks for the help!

mtbr member

The Tool

got the tool, but it turns out it was a TL-FG10, i think. i'll check when i get home. But it works, engages the spline, fits over the cone/lock nuts,,,so everything is golden. i now have a centerlock rotor w/no wobble>>>good braking. also swapped a 20 tooth cog for a 19 to bump up the ratio a bit. looking forward to a long ride.

thanks for the help!

...glad to help, also, the tool model number does not matter, as long as it fit over the axle and tightened your Rotor. Happy Pedaling.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm having the same problem with my lockring for my avid disc .

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...13#post7553813

the park FR-5 worked fine with my DT Swiss hub but there is not enough space on the inside of the tool for it to engage the teeth of the lockring - it is blocked by my new hub which is a Mavic. i wonder if this Shimano tool allows enough room to pass the outside of the mavic hub too... thanks for any ideas. jamie

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the help - I had the same problem & this old thread sorted it for me

I had a cassette tool that took a 1/2" drive but it came with a pin that rendered it useless for an alfine hub. Armed with nothing but a hand held electric drill & a 1/2" drill bit, I got to work. The pin released quickly & then it was a simple matter of keeping drilling through the thin web that located the pin & it was job done.

10 minutes work & I don't have to hunt the webs for a tool & wait for delivery.