The Dog.

Alfine 8 slow/mushy engagement in 5-8

Hello all-

Quick question. I've had my Alfine 8 for a few weeks now. So far, I've been loving it. And except for a non-drive locknut that came loose, I've had zero problems.

Today I noticed that engagement in gears 5-8 only is mushy and slow. It is also accompanied by some noise with a clunk at final engagement. This is only from a stop. It is nearly undetectable at speed. It makes the normal 5-8 noise when backpedaling. 1-4 still engage very quickly and like any other hub. There is no actual skipping, and the shifting is fine.

So, my question is: is this normal? Have I just not noticed it because I'm always in 1-4 on trail and cruising when I'm in 5-8? Please tell me that my beautiful new hub is fine...

Thanks.

~DD

The Dog.
    Nevermind. It only does it if one backpedals first. Just starting out it engages right away. I think backpedaling disengages some kind of mechanism...that's why it makes the funny noise too.

Can you tell that I know a ton about this hub?

mtbr member
    IGH's do function with some slightly differently character traits (in a good way) even compared to each other and compared to standard gearing.
    Alfine 8 engagement is smoother but feels a little slower than say the Rohloff.

Doesn't take long to get used to it...................... I would struggle to go back to using standard cassette gears now

Enjoy