likes beer

Alfine 8 slipping in 5th

so bummed. Anyone have this problem? Slipping in 5th, primarly on climbs. Misses about half a pedal stroke...

...came on a used bike so I guess I cant be too pissed. No warranty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Start by checking to see if the cassette joint is installed properly. Go to the Alfine page on si.shimano.com. Open the Dealer manual (the red 'DM' icon) and check how to properly install/adjust the hub hardware. Depending on the series of hub, the distance between the end of the housing and the cable anchor is either 101mm (500 series) or 145mm (7000 series). All the other information is still pertinent, it is just far easier to read in the complete dealer manual than the individual documents. This would also be a good time to pull the ferrules off the housing, checking for uneven/protruding housing ends, check the cable for kinks, etc, as IGHs are finicky about cable tension.

Assume the previous owner did nothing right, as far as maintenance/setup, etc...

If you are getting consistent slips, it may already be too late to fix the hub, but if after you try the above, it still continues, you will have to open the hub to check on it. If it is used, you should be opening it to clean/lubricate it anyway, as small shavings of metal do occasionally come off and cause poor operation.

The hubstripping wordpress is a good place to start for collected information, but some articles may require you to either read German/use a translating feature.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    There is much written about this issue and I had the same problem last year on a Nexus version with the same internals as the Alfine. I strongly suspect Shimano's has a design issue with these hubs in getting the one-way roller clutches to properly engage. I had perfectly aligned the yellow lines for proper cable adjustment and I adjusted the chain tension so there was just a hint of slack when unloaded and mine would still "slip" in 5th about once every five to ten miles. I was about ready to give up on Shimano until I pulled the guts out and soaked it in a jar of ATF (not a single shop in the Detroit area had any of the magic overpriced Shimano oil I could soak it in so the ATF worked fine. I pulled mine apart after approximately 700 miles and it was clean and greasy so maybe the wash of ATF for the gear/clutch unit and re-greasing the bearings is the correct combination? One thing I can't figure out is what Shimano means by claiming the hub is protected form too much input torque. Do the one way clutches function as a "fuse" and let go? Check out all the great information in the Hubstripping articles and on the web and good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Start by checking to see if the cassette joint is installed properly. Go to the Alfine page on si.shimano.com. Open the Dealer manual (the red 'DM' icon) and check how to properly install/adjust the hub hardware. Depending on the series of hub, the distance between the end of the housing and the cable anchor is either 101mm (500 series) or 145mm (7000 series).
    Or just check that the yellow index marks are aligned in 4th gear - I've never measured cable lengths on any of mine and surely that dimension is only given as an aid to initial set-up? Aligning the marks is the way to do final calibration.