singlespeed smash brother

Alfine 8 shifting anomaly 7th to 6th

I just switched my hub over to a new bike build and I'm going through the tedious motions of tuning the shifting and I've come across a strange shifting anomaly and wanted to know if any one else experienced it, what they think the issue is and what I should do to fix it.

So it occurs on the down shift from 7th to 6th intermittently. Instead of going to 6th it seems to go straight to 5th. The up shift from 5th to 6th is fine. If I shift to 6th and it doesn't engage I can get it to engage by using the shifter to slightly tension the cable. However if I tighten the cable at the barrel adjuster it will slip and crunch in 6th under pedal torque.

I cleaned the cassette housing and added a little grease because I thought there might have been some stiction. Seems ok now but haven't tested it on the trail.

What do you all think?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Question one, are you tuning the cable when in 4th gear? 4th as in fourth.

Question two, throughout the travel of the cable from gear 1 to 8, does the hose move quite a bit? Another way of asking this is: is it possible that your cable pull amounts are being messed up in ways that Shimano wasn't expecting?

I've had the latter happen to me a few times, it took some figuring how to make the shift cable housing stiffer throughout operation. I've had some similar symptoms as you describe when shifting around a corner.

EDIT: Also is your shifter-in-housing situation similarly slippery as you can possibly make it?
    Latitude: 44.93 N

singlespeed smash brother
    To answer your Questions.
    1. Initial set up is done lining the yellow marks up in 4th. Further tuning is done in or around the problem gear. In this case 6th.
    2. My cable routing is as smooth as I can get it. It's on a dual suspension and have ruled out suspension movement as a factor.

3. My next port of call is a new cable and liner. I don't like putting lube in my cables beyond a light greasing upon installation.