Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    google for results https://www.google.co.in/search?q=cj...ter&oq=cj-8s40r
    SL-S503-210LSL for CJ-8S40
    SL-S503-210LLL for CJ-8S20

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sorry, but WTF? I can't believe you guys are geeking out so hard on this. Just buy whatever you need for your climate, or barstadise it if you get the two wrong sorts. It's just to hold the outer cable FFS.
    Throws on flame suit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yo Yo View Post
    Sorry, but WTF? I can't believe you guys are geeking out so hard on this. Just buy whatever you need for your climate, or barstadise it if you get the two wrong sorts. It's just to hold the outer cable FFS.
    Throws on flame suit.
    No flaming from me - I agree with you. And I still stand by my assertion that the shifter (not cable fittings etc etc) is one and the same, there are not two versions.

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by anga View Post
    google for results https://www.google.co.in/search?q=cj...ter&oq=cj-8s40r
    SL-S503-210LSL for CJ-8S40
    SL-S503-210LLL for CJ-8S20
    Those two numbers are for silver or black versions of the new 503 shifter. Try again but I am pretty sure you'll keep striking out. All the Nexus/Alfine shifters work with either cassette joint as per my previous post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    For the record, I purchased the SLS503 shifter in black and the Alfine small parts kit for the 8-spd, but almost forgot to order the 35mm to 6-bolt discbrake rotor adapter for the Alfine hub.

So I still need to get the 35mm to 6 bolt adapter, the "rotor installation ring" that secures it to the hub, and the tool (TL-LR10) to screw in the ring.
    (An external BB installation tool might work for this. If so, then no need to get the TL-LR10 tool).
    Last edited by PlutonicPlague; 01-28-2014 at 02:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Which Alfine 8 Shifter?

And as an update: I'm piling miles on my Alfine 8-converted Inbred and loving it! Shifts so smooth and quiet, and it has a huge gear range. Running 32x23 for bikepacking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    For CJ-8S20
    silver: SL-S503-210LLS
    black: SL-S503-210LLL

For CJ-8S40
    silver: SL-S503-210LSS
    black: SL-S503-210LSL

Hope this settles the issue!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Yo Yo View Post
    Throws on flame suit.
    If you don't care, then don't post--as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
    Well, will you please enlighten this stupid old man and tell me what the part numbers are and how the shifters differ?
    As far as I know the only part number is SL-S500.
    See part numbers in previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    Those two numbers are for silver or black versions of the new 503 shifter. Try again but I am pretty sure you'll keep striking out. All the Nexus/Alfine shifters work with either cassette joint as per my previous post.
    See part numbers in previous post.
    Why don't you back up your claims by posting photos of your shifters connected to the two cassettes?
    All any one had to do was just google--the answers were within the first two pages.

mtbr member
    Never mind the part numbers - the simple fact is that any 8 speed Alfine shifter (whatever part # it has)will work with any 8 speed Alfine hub.
    They all pull the same amount of cable per gear shift, the same amount in total and the hubs all have the same requirements.

There's no need for photos, common sense will tell you that they'll work. Just as the Zerode shifter will work with either cassette joint - at the end of the day it's just a cable stop, not black magic!

And just because Shimano may or may not have two part numbers, the items can still be indentical - IS-PM 180mm front and IS-PM 160 rear brake adaptors being a case in point.

Frt Range, CO
    ...Why don't you back up your claims by posting photos of your shifters connected to the two cassettes?...
    Would it blow your mind if I told you I'm running a Nexus gripshift with the sealed cassette joint? Google my Moonlander and you'll find some pictures of it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Never mind the part numbers - the simple fact is that any 8 speed Alfine shifter (whatever part # it has)will work with any 8 speed Alfine hub.
    Well, will you please enlighten this stupid old man and tell me what the part numbers are and how the shifters differ?
    First you ask for the part numbers and after I post them, you don't care!!

Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    Would it blow your mind if I told you I'm running a Nexus gripshift with the sealed cassette joint? Google my Moonlander and you'll find some pictures of it.
    Why don't you post the pictures to backup your claims about using all Nexus 8/Alfine 8 shifters with both cassettes?
    No pictures and they are empty claims!!

mtbr member
    First you ask for the part numbers and after I post them, you don't care!!

Why don't you post the pictures to backup your claims about using all Nexus 8/Alfine 8 shifters with both cassettes?
    No pictures and they are empty claims!!
    This is getting ridiculous now - the following are the facts :-

All Alfine and Nexus 8 speed hubs need the same cable pull per gear shift - I'm not saying that the pull for each gear is identical, as I don't believe it is, but that each hub has the same requirements.

All Nexus and Alfine 8 shifters (and the Zerode indexed Sram shifter) are indexed to pull the correct amount of cable per shift.

The only thing that would alter the cable pull required would be if the drum that the cable wraps around on the cassette joint was a different diameter on the weatherproof version compared to the other. It's not, it's identical.

If you had a properly positioned cable stop on the frame you wouldn't even need a cable stop on the cassette joint, the cable inner could go straight to the hub. This would work perfectly well with an EBB and would make no difference to the shifting.

There are people here who state that they've used both cassette joints with the same shifter with no issues.
    Maybe that's just how it is then, unless you still think that they're deluded or, even stranger, lying??

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ^ What is ridiculous is your fragile ego. I gave you more than one chance to google and discover the part numbers yourself. You insisted on the part numbers and after I take the trouble to post them, all you can say is "Never mind the part numbers."

Anyone can claim anything--I just asked pursuiter, and not you, for proof, just like he did. Anyways, he can speak for himself.

Frt Range, CO
    ...he can speak for himself.
    anga, you're right, I've never seen those additional part numbers, I assume the newer number includes the big bulbous sealed end piece. As you requested, here's my Moonlander with Nexus grip shift and sealed cassette joint:

Which Alfine 8 Shifter?-view-1.jpg

Which Alfine 8 Shifter?-new-bars.jpg

The part number I listed for the sealed cassette will work with any Nexus/Alfine shifter, that's the exact kit I used. Knowledge is required, all the parts are there.

mtbr member
    ^ What is ridiculous is your fragile ego. I gave you more than one chance to google and discover the part numbers yourself. You insisted on the part numbers and after I take the trouble to post them, all you can say is "Never mind the part numbers."

Anyone can claim anything--I just asked pursuiter, and not you, for proof, just like he did. Anyways, he can speak for himself.
    Whatever, yessir - you'll be right.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Whatever, yessir - you'll be right.
    No--all you had to do was say a simple "Thank you" after I went to the trouble of posting the part numbers that you wanted. If that was too much, you could have remained silent. Instead, you made a big deal of it.

mtbr member
    Ah - the joys of the interwebz, Anga. People (you, me, whoever) getting their knickers in a twist over bugger all.
    Now, if we could sit and have a beer together, you'd see what I mean and I'd see what you're getting at. But that we can't do.
    Such is life, I guess....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2