mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Alfine 8 full of filings

Hello MTBRers,

I've got an Alfine 8 which I've had for ~ 3 years on my mountain bike. I'm running a 32T chainring and a 24T sprocket, so quite a bit "out of spec". Since about 2 years ago, I've been running the hub with auto trans fluid instead of the shimano white grease. I've taken it apart 3 times now, and have only noticed a few filings each time.

Last ride was quite a wet and muddy one, lots of deep puddles. It's possible that some moisture made its way past the seals and into the juicy bits of the hub. I hosed down the bike and neglected to dry it (not terribly unusual). A few days later, I noticed some surface rust on the chain and some serious crunchiness while freewheeling. I lubed up the chain and shifted through all the gears, and the crunchiness decreased (but didn't totally disappear). I'm pretty sure the notchiness/crunchiness was coming from the hub, rather than the chain, though.

Anyway, I took the hub apart yesterday, and was greeted with a fine mixture of ATF and iron filings (pretty sure they were iron -- they were attracted to my screwdriver anyway) on just about every internal surface. The bearings were in near-perfect condition, and I couldn't see any obvious signs of water, though the ATF was a bit discoloured. I took off the circlip from the main shaft and broke the hub into the two main parts to see if I could see any ground down surfaces, but it was all looking quite nice. I put on the cassette joint to see if the shifting pawls were ground down. There was a slight shininess to the top of each pawl, but there was still heaps of material to allow them to engage properly, so I don't think it was the pawls anyway.

On the non-drive-side, just outside of the small bearing (near the cone assembly, but not on the bearing race), I noticed 3 gouges, which I suspect caused the crunchiness I observed. Given that these are outside of the hub, I have no idea how they were caused.

I should mention that other than the crunchiness when freewheeling, the performance hasn't been degraded at all -- still perfect shifts, and full engagement in all gears.

So I guess my questions are:
    1) Which surfaces inside the hub are the most susceptible to being ground down?
    2) Can the Alfine 8 tolerate this and keep working? Is it "normal" to have a few filings?

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Check the three pins that the planet gears ride on; I've seen pictures of those pins pretty much destroyed where the gears and bearings run. Sorry, I can't recall where I saw those pics.

As well, it could just be your chain and sprockets. I just replaced all three (went from 19 to 20 (back) and 32 to 30 (front)) and noticed a big increase in smoothness. The old parts were three years old with at least 2500 Km on them.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for your thoughts, Drew. I'll check out the planet gear pins tonight, and take pics if relevant.

The chain, chainring and sprocket were all quite new, so I doubt this caused the crunchiness.

Cheers,
    Alex.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Drew, you were right, it's mainly erosion of the planetary gear pins that's caused the filings. I took the three easily disassembled ones out and reversed them, but it looks like my hub's days are numbered